Learn Backmount First

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just double checked the price on your manifold you linked here an the cheapest I could find it not online is $375 and was using staff discount pricing. The bands were about 80 bucks more too. I talked to the distributor and a few other stores around town and the word is it's customs.

And the only break down I have to do on my sidemounts is undo a cam band and switch to my rec regs! I'm switching between tec/Rec on the same tanks in about 5 minutes.

And those tanks can only be used as a set, which means that other tanks are needed. Breaking them down costs time and money.

Sidemount tanks are just tanks. They in no need to own duplicate tanks. No need to break them down. Unmatched tanks in sidemount is a minor deal. In doubles it is impossible.

There is a reason why SM is the rage. Because it is easier, cheaper, and modular. Modular is always cheaper

I am simply comparing the two configuration, your only saving on the bands and manifold. I agree that it is convenient to be able to use your SM tanks as singles though.

I am simply comparing the two configuration, your only saving on the bands and manifold. I agree that it is convenient to be able to use your SM tanks as singles though.

And tanks.

Tanks keep getting left out. Doubles tanks can only be sued as doubles, and have to be bought in matched pairs.

And those tanks can only be used as a set, which means that other tanks are needed. Breaking them down costs time and money.

Sidemount tanks are just tanks. They in no need to own duplicate tanks. No need to break them down. Unmatched tanks in sidemount is a minor deal. In doubles it is impossible.

There is a reason why SM is the rage. Because it is easier, cheaper, and modular. Modular is always cheaper

Not true. While unmatched tanks may not be a big deal with aluminums, this is not the case with steels. Unmatched steel tanks can cause trim to be off significantly. I had a student who had bought 2 Faber LP95s from 2 different sources. They had a 2 year difference in born dates. At quick glance they looked identical. At closer inspection there were some differences. In the water there was quite a big difference. Once tank was significantly negative enough that my student was practically sideways in the water. It took 3lbs of trim weight on the opposite side to get him even.

lol lets get back to the topic at heand lol Learn on what your going to use! If your never going to use backmount who cares if you know how?

I just double checked the price on your manifold you linked here an the cheapest I could find it not online is $375 and was using staff discount pricing. The bands were about 80 bucks more too. I talked to the distributor and a few other stores around town and the word is it's customs.

Custom? Diverite?

If you're talking about the link I put up, you didn't check around enough. There is absolutely nothing custom about a 200 bar Diverite manifold. You are getting raped in pricing with whoever you are speaking with - thats a fact.

I think he is referring to Customs as in the government agency with way to much power that is constantly raping the people of our country for anything we import.

Back to the question at hand. I dove in backmounted doubles for a year or two, and did my cave training in that setup. My next trip down, we had sewed up our own sidemount rigs (there weren't any commercially made ones at that point) and I NEVER put backmount on again. I've still got three sets of bands sitting out in my garage ten years later. Honestly, I don't think I gained a damned thing by learning backmount first, except that I could dive it if I had to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom