Leaking valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My brother just had a valve serviced, and when he connected the tank today, it was audibly leaking around the valve handle. Popped it under water to be sure of the source, and sure enough. After turning the valve off,it continued to bubble there until the line pressure was drained down. Does that make sense that it would leak there with just the line pressure?

If I had to guess, the bonnet nut was not tightened enough to seat the copper crush washer. If you are not familiar with valve repairs, I would take the valve and tank back to the shop that performed the service to have it corrected.

Yes, crush washer or packing around the valve stem.

I agree. Even after you close the valve and purge the system with a second stage there can be a good percentage of the tank pressure held back behind the tiny HP hose orifice. This air slowly bleeds down and will be seen as a prolonged leakdown.

Pete

Thanks all.

I'll be bringng his tank in this week.

Back
Top Bottom