ScubaPro BCD Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Frog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Before I do something stupid, I’d better ask… is this valve usable serviceable, and if yes, does the “body cap” of the unscrew or what? I should say this is a beautiful ScubaPro Accent NP that’s been sitting for a while. It’s got what seems like just a whisper of a leak, but it’s enough to leak down quickly when I let it sit, and I see a steady stream of small bubbles when it is submerged. Picture below.
Thanks in advance!
Froggie 🐸

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpeg
    IMG_2225.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 78
Don't know about that exact model of dump valve but most that I've come across are all the same.
Do the bubbles come from around the very sides or the center?

You can disassemble by gripping the valve from the back (through all the material) and rotate the front. It'll come apart easily. Keep an eye out for the spring, diaphragm and o-ring flying away.

If the leak is around the very side then its lost the seal between the bladder skin (on the inside) and mating surface on the valve. Clean these surfaces and add a small quantity of grease then reassemble.
If the leak is coming from the center then the little rubber diaphragm has failed . inspect for damage then just clean and reassemble. Lube the o-ring. If its damaged get another bit of rubber from the store and cut yourself a new one. new o-ring should be easily found in seal import stores.

They often do not come apart easily. As described, try to find the source of the leak. Often the spring has become corroded or weak and it is simple to replace once you get it apart.

Sand in the threads can make it hard to unscrew. A pin spanner is a useful tool for the job.

Generally, cleaning the rubber seal and reassembling fixes the issue. Sometimes the spring has compressed but be careful if you stretch it; they can break pretty easily.

There is no oring on this dump (unlike the shoulder dump). Be careful when reassembling as the plastic threads can get ruined if you cross thread the cap.

I would avoid greasing anything ... it will just attract sand and make the problem reoccur sooner.

This is a picture of a similar valve disassembled.
IMG_2205.JPG

The inner flange is glued/sealed to the cordura. The big plastic washer goes outside and is pressed by the plastic cap.

The inner flange is not necessarily glued/sealed to the cordura

This is what happens when people that do not know open something they shouldn't open that has been previously opened by some other person that shouldn't be touching anything and spreading glue about

like this guy that doesn't know but speaks anyway

Don't know about that exact model of dump valve but most that I've come across are all the same.

But here is the ScubaPro tool on one of my Classic bcs

127 059a (1).jpg

a very heavy buoyant unwieldy bc

or you can stand on it and just do

and never ever use grease

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom