Leaking Axis Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgiddings

Contributor
Reaction score
I have the Mares Axis Octopus and it seems to almost always start leaking about the 3rd or 4th dive after servicing (either annual or getting it “detuned”). I’ve read that there are problems with this Octo doing this and am thinking about getting another Octo.

However, someone at a LDS (not the one I get it serviced in) thought that maybe the seals weren’t seated fully and that I should breath around 100 cycles on the Octo to seat them better and “break it in”. I have never heard of this technique. Does anyone know if this would work?

...but it's pretty much standard to cycle a new regulator for 10 or 15 minutes to 'seat' the seals or what ever needs to wear in. I have an Aqua Lung Titan XL, and when I bought it early-early this year, they took it down to the repair facility and ran it for 10-15 minutes to seat all the seals.

I have never breathed more than a couple times on my cheapie Aqualung Low Profile Octo, but they did run it in too.

Maybe someone who knows your regulator will have an answer...

The early Axis models had a new style second stage crown that could cause the type of leak that you are describing. Mares has provided all dealers with retrofit kits to take care of the problem. The new crown is light green in color to differentiate it from the originals.

Speak to your Mares dealer and describe this problem. Mares even printed a technical bulletin to address the matter. Mares will repair it for free. If your local shop doesn't correct the problem contact me and I will lead you to the American headquarters to deal with the problem.

Let me know if you don't have any luck.

Greg Barlow

Thanks. I'm taking my reg in for its annual next weekend and my LDS normally sends the regs to Mares (America) for servicing. I will ask them to replace the crown and fix it properly.

You might suggest to your shop to include a note concerning the issue.

Greg Barlow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom