Leak-proof masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fila56

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been using a Mares silicone mask which is great- if it remains free of water! I equalize often and then have to press the bottom part of the skirt down on my face to avoid taking on water from the bottom- or spend my time equalizing and clearing! Mask fits great above water with a snorkel in my mouth but fails me underwater. Anyone else with this issue? Any suggestions?

It could be as simple as the skirt has become stiff. the clear silicone masks I have owned tended to do that after a few years. Also, make sure the skirt is still attached to the frame, If it is a frameless mask that is known to happen sometimes.

That is interesting! I was not aware that the silicone can warp or harden- I take such good care of my equipment but I am so fed up with constantly equalizing and clearing every two minutes once I've reached my depth. Is it possible that I am not pinching my nose hard enough and the seal in the mask breaks?

Do you wear the snorkel between the strap and your head or on the outside of the strap ?????........Try both and see what happens......

My guess would be that you just don't have the right mask for your facial structure. Not all masks fit all faces, I went thru 4 to get one that wouldn't leak. My leaks were often at the temples when I turned quickly. I tried Mares, Scubapro, Aqualung and now dive a Tusa. Oddly my $15 close-out Sherwood backup mask also doesn't leak.

Cressi sells some of their masks with an upgrade called Crystal - it uses a special silicone in the skirt.
Cressi Scuba Diving Masks
Mares calls their Liquidskin
http://www.mares.com/products/masks-and-snorkels/masks/?region=us

I've heard the Atomic Frameless is a good fitting mask for a lot of people also. They also have a smaller-face version if you do.

Most likely an ill fitting mask for your face shape. As another poster has mentioned a snorkel attached to the mask can also sometimes cause problems. Good luck.

+1 on the Atomic Frameless it's the only mask I've had in almost 15 years that doesn't leak (I use a medium fit).

I've always had problem with mask leaks. The Atomic Aquatics frameless is the closest I've come to leakproof. There's no such thing as a leakproof mask. I've tried a whole lot of masks in 17 or so years.

I have a beard and moustache, my mask never seals water out. I exhale slightly from my nose when water accumulates and voila, it's almost all gone. I don't even wear my mask tight to my face, the only reason I need a strap is to keep my mask from falling off. I don't know if a mask with a purge valve would help or not. I have heard some people use a little vaseline on the skin, but I would be careful whoopin' out a big ol' jar of vaseline...

another vote for try some different masks.

You are kidding right, masks are not supposed to leak? So I thought until I happened upon the Atomic Frameless. WTH, the thing is so dry it is like living in Aridzona, I get nosebleeds from the low humidity. I put water in it on purpose.

N

Back
Top Bottom