Leak-proof masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you find a mask that fits its like finding your soul mate, and you never want to loose it! (Mine is a Scuba Pro 'frameless' Trinidad mask - which is a good fit if you have a broad face, not so good for small or narrow faces).

A common mistake of newer divers is to over tighten the mask strap, this actually makes the mask leak more. The strap is there to assist with holding the mask on, but the seal should do the lions share, so when fitting your mask place it on your face and breathe in, hold your breath. The mask should stay put without the strap, if it does not it may be defective, either way try a different mask.

If you tend to be a tropical diver, or you use a daily moisturizer as most ladies, and a growing number of gentlemen, do these days you may find that the greasiness from the face creams can build up in your mask, making it more prone to leaking. I have a locally made anti-fog which we have named 'scoosh' which also degreases the mask prior to each dive, and makes it a little more 'sticky'.

Ingredients of Scoosh: 1 part dish washing liquid / 10 parts Sunset Very Strong Rum (you can substitute no more tears shampoo / rubbing alcohol as required - but the rum works best!)

A few sploshes of this in the mask should be rubbed over the glass and skirt with your finger tips and then thoroughly rinsed in salt water prior to putting it onto your face, it you don't rinse you will sting your eyes.

After almost 10 years of professional diving I have yet to find a better, less expensive anti-fog with exceptional mask sealing properties!

Washing your mask with a degreaser before each use will help if you'd prefer to use a generic de-fog!

I have tried and given away many masks... Finally found the Atomic Sub-Frames and Frameless that fit me perfectly... Bought 2 of each just in case Atomic stops producing them!

I have tried and given away many masks... Finally found the Atomic Sub-Frames and Frameless that fit me perfectly... Bought 2 of each just in case Atomic stops producing them!
What a great idea I have an Atomic frameless that also fits perfect, think I'll get another

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom