LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdb:
If the product has a manufacturing defect it will be repaired/replaced by the manufacturer. Numerous recalls for defective BC inflators, computers, etc. attest to this fact. Manufacturers must repair any defective item. Same with SCUBA or washing
machines.

Recalls are different animals. I don't know but I suspect that if a manufacturer issued a recall on a part then they would 'probably' cover all of their products in the US...grey market or not.

But a part that breaks that is still under warranty will only be fixed or replaced by the manufacturer IF it is an authorized part. Grey market products are not authorized parts.

You know, the main catch on the "warranty" issue is traceability, ie those products that have serial numbers which can positively identify the unit and it's production/purchase history.

I dare say regs and computers are about the only items that are serialized. I've yet to see a serial number on a pair of fins, a B/C, a mask and so forth.

So I guess this whole on-going diatribe is pretty much centered around regs and computers . . .

the K

The Kraken:
You know, the main catch on the "warranty" issue is traceability, ie those products that have serial numbers which can positively identify the unit and it's production/purchase history.

I dare say regs and computers are about the only items that are serialized. I've yet to see a serial number on a pair of fins, a B/C, a mask and so forth.

the K

Excellent point.

The Kraken:

So I guess this whole on-going diatribe is pretty much centered around regs and computers . . .

the K

The Kraken, as usual, has a very good point. If the product is defective the manufacturer must replace it. If it is worn, used, etc. then the "Authorized Dealers" warranty comes into play.

Stephen Ash:
I think that he returned it to LP but I don't know what they did for him...

I believe LP sends it back to their source for warrenty action. If the source had been a US dive shop like yours, the mfgr (US distributor?) may not have been able to ID it as grey market and might have taken the warrenty action. Since he could ID it as not from a US authorized dealer, LP probably sent it back to its European or other foreign shop or distributor.

The Kraken:
Not to split hairs or anything, but my (old) knighthawk, as well as both oxycheq wings have had serial numbers on them.

Matt

mdb:
If the product is defective the manufacturer must replace it. If it is worn, used, etc. then the "Authorized Dealers" warranty comes into play.

If I bought a new computer and it wouldn't turn on, I'd call that defective.

If I bought it from an authorized dealer they would send it back to the manufacturer and the manufacturer would warranty this part. I would NOT have to pay to have it fixed or replaced.

If I bought it from a place like LP and sent it back to the manufacturer, the manufacturer would NOT watrranty the part and would charge me full pop to have it fixed or replaced.

In actuality, I would send it back to LP and they would most likely send me a new one or something similar if they didn't have another one in stock.

awap:
I believe LP sends it back to their source for warrenty action. If the source had been a US dive shop like yours, the mfgr (US distributor?) may not have been able to ID it as grey market and might have taken the warrenty action. Since he could ID it as not from a US authorized dealer, LP probably sent it back to its European or other foreign shop or distributor.

I think you're probably right.

I tire of hearing the same arguements from pro LDS people:

1 You woun't get air fills ever again if you shop internet.

Many dive boats offer fills right at the departure dock, or even on board. The LDS doesn't have a monopoly on fills. For what I save on overpricing by the LDS, I can chip in with a couple of buddies and BUY a compressor.

2 Warranty issues/ shopping/ repairs

I bought my Black Diamond BC for $700 from my LDS. 2 weeks later I find out LP sells them for $375. (Now $550- price increase). Double the price? Is service/repairs worth double?

The fact is, internet sales are no different from having a competitor open in your town- most internet sellers have a store front. LDS owners- you are now competing in the world market. They all are not grey market, either. Look at diversdirect.com. They have at least 4 stores in Florida of which I am aware. Learn to adapt your business model and compete, or the brick and mortar LDS will go the way of the dinosaur.

sharpenu:
I tire of hearing the same arguements from pro LDS people:
world market. They all are not grey market, either. Look at diversdirect.com. They have at least 4 stores in Florida of which I am aware. Learn to adapt your business model and compete, or the brick and mortar LDS will go the way of the dinosaur.

One of my local dive stores sells items that way, in fact I'd venture a guess to say that he does as much business over the internet as he does walkin, maybe more. The benefit is that the average prices he has are better than a straight front based store.

Don't get me wrong, I've bought from my LDS and I've bought from diversdirect as well. It depends on the item. Believe it or not on the big ticket items my LDS is cheaper than any place I've ever found on the Internet, not by much but cheaper and I get the side benefits such as access to a dive site of theirs.

What a LDS has to ask themselves is, what am I doing to justify the markup over the Internet prices? You can't just be higher and offer nothing in return, that's not how the market works. There has got to be some value, some justification for the higher pricing, and then there is a limit as to how high your markup can be. Get it right and you'll have a loyal customer base. IMO my LDS has it pretty well balanced and in the end I think it averages out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom