LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
LP is not an authorized dealer, they sell grey market products, and your fooling yourself if you think that you can compare products from LP with those at your LDS straight across. This is an apple to oranges kind of deal. Even if the product is exactly the same...and that's a big if...it is not an authorized part and is by definition not the same part at all.

Not necessarily. When I bought my Aeris Atmos 2 computer I found an authorized internet dealer to match LeisurePro's price. Checked with Aeris, internet dealer listed as 'authorized'. Wrote to Aeris, their response was that since the dealer was an authorized retailer of thier product and was able to provide warranty registration card, should the need for warranty repair work be required they would not refuse to stand behind thier equipment. Online price at the time was $389.99. LDS price for same item was $699.00. Not quite twice the price but $310 is a lot of money to me for the same item with the same warranty.

Seemed like apples to apples to me.
Ken

nauidiver2004:
Not necessarily. When I bought my Aeris Atmos 2 computer I found an authorized internet dealer to match LeisurePro's price. Checked with Aeris, internet dealer listed as 'authorized'. Wrote to Aeris, their response was that since the dealer was an authorized retailer of thier product and was able to provide warranty registration card, should the need for warranty repair work be required they would not refuse to stand behind thier equipment. Online price at the time was $389.99. LDS price for same item was $699.00. Not quite twice the price but $310 is a lot of money to me for the same item with the same warranty.

Seemed like apples to apples to me.
Ken

It seems close to apples to apples to me...except...it should be! You got it from an authorized dealer...not LP. (You, still didn't get the local support that you would have recieved if you had bought lfrom the LDS. But I suspect even that local support might not be worth the difference.)

I think that I would have gone to the LDS and told them that I had another authorized dealer willing to sell me the computer for 400. Maybe they would have been willing to do something for you. I think that's fair...comparing prices from two authorized dealers, that is.

Stephen Ash:
I'm not saying don't buy from places like this...
Sure you are. And in a most persistent and annoying manner, to boot. You're condescending and demeaning manner is reminiscent of the attitude many complain about from their LDS. I haven't personally experienced that attitude, but I've heard stories. And as for your arguments about lack of warranties, that falls on the manufacturers not the stores. The stuff in the box is the same. As time goes on, those manufacturers who refuse to allow their stuff to be advertised and sold on the Internet will suffer from the inattention of the consumer, not the other way around.

Another point to consider. As far as I know, there is no internet source for air fills or continuing education. The LDS provides those.

However, air fills and training are NOT money makers. If your LDS is fortunate enough, they will basically break even on those areas.

If consumers go to the internet for their equipment purchases, how will the LDS make money to pay rent/mortgage, electricity, water, insurance, dues, salaries, etc?

When the LDS has to close the doors, where will you get your airfills and training? Who will train your kids, friends? Who will service the equipment you bought online? Will you ship it back to the internet dealer and wait weeks for it to return? Shipping costs will rapidly eat away all the savings realized by purchasing online.

Just some points to ponder.

jbichsel:
When the LDS has to close the doors, where will you get your airfills and training? Who will train your kids, friends? Who will service the equipment you bought online? Will you ship it back to the internet dealer and wait weeks for it to return? Shipping costs will rapidly eat away all the savings realized by purchasing online.
And if people can't get training or air, no one we need all that gear that the Internet shops are selling, so they'll all go out of business too.

DallasNewbie:
Sure you are. And in a most persistent and annoying manner, to boot. You're condescending and demeaning manner is reminiscent of the attitude many complain about from their LDS. I haven't personally experienced that attitude, but I've heard stories. And as for your arguments about lack of warranties, that falls on the manufacturers not the stores. The stuff in the box is the same. As time goes on, those manufacturers who refuse to allow their stuff to be advertised and sold on the Internet will suffer from the inattention of the consumer, not the other way around.

Nope, never said such a thing. You obviously misunderstood. I simply pointed out some things that you don't want to hear. If you want to believe that you can get something for free, go right ahead.

Stephen Ash:
Nope, never said such a thing. You obviously misunderstood. I simply pointed out some things that you don't want to hear. If you want to believe that you can get something for free, go right ahead.
You seem to be the one convinced that you can get stuff for free.
Stephen Ash:
I suppose, before I bought from an authorized dealer in Spain, I would want to know the bottom line...how much including shipping and import fees. I would want to consider how much am I really saving when it comes to annual servicing...I get it free...actually I do my own but I do it at my shop with their parts kit all for no charge. I mean, can I send it back to Spain for a free annual?
TANSTAAFL. Pay now or pay later, you'll pay for what you get, but there's no reason to over pay. The smart consumer looks for the best value, and the smart seller looks to deliver it. At least one very large Internet retailer stays in business running an LDS offering training, air fills and matching other's prices while delivering superior customer service. So it can be done. If your shop won't do it, that's just too bad.

Sweet a new topic! This one has yet to be explored!!! (hehehe)

Loyalty runs in both directions for sure. I trained a student and spent no less than 4 hours with him going over equipment. The manager of the shop spent at least twice that long with him. Of course after all this he went and bought scubapro stuff from Leisurepro. He doesn't have anything more than a leisurepro warranty.

Now since he wasted so much of my time and continues to do so with his questions about future purchases we've cut him loose. We don't want to fill his tanks or answer his questions. When he asked where everyone from the shop was diving this weekend I directed him to leisurepro. He asked if he could use our buddy board and we didn't allow him.

This guy was a jerk and to be honest we don't want his "future" business. Our shop is successful and the reason it's successful is because we make sure we treat our real customers special.

It did feel good charging him for assembly of his equipment.

We don't want to be in a race to see who can sell for cheapest. That is just stupid. We are in a race to see if we can please a customer more than anyone else. There will be some who will pick out a piece or two of what I've written and say how they'd never do business with a shop that treats people like we've treated this guy.

He needs a buddy, go dive with him :)

What we do there supports a large staff in a 10,000 square foot facility with a 50 foot saline pool. We didn't do that by trying to sell equipment for the same prices as the internet, we did it by offering service and creating satisfied customers.

DallasNewbie:
You seem to be the one convinced that you can get stuff for free.

I really have no idea what you're talking about.

DallasNewbie:
TANSTAAFL.

Again, you've lost me.

DallasNewbie:
Pay now or pay later, you'll pay for what you get, but there's no reason to over pay. The smart consumer looks for the best value, and the smart seller looks to deliver it. At least one very large Internet retailer stays in business running an LDS offering training, air fills and matching other's prices while delivering superior customer service. So it can be done. If your shop won't do it, that's just too bad.

I'm sure you're a savy consumer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom