LDS gear is expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's why dive shops don't like this forum. If they won't price match, then take your business elsewhere. that simple
That is the reason we are here, to take special care of Scubaboard members:thumb:!

I am not willing to pay a premium because someone's business model is flawed.

However, especially in Canada, on-line shopping incurs a number of financial "penalties" if your purchase crosses a border. Things like brokerage fees and our pathetic dollar compared to other currencies. Even shopping from Canadian on-line shops can be expensive. I've wanted some specific item that costs say $20, but the shop will only send via courier with a $20 minimum shipping cost. Guess what just cost double?

So here you have to factor in ALL costs before deciding whether or not to buy local. Shops here also have to face the same crummy dollar exchange when they buy. Then there's also availability. I had to buy my last pair of jet fins from a friend in Alberta because no-one stocked them where I was located, and the closer shops that had them thought they were made out of some gold alloy apparently.

I am fortunate that I have a really great shop that I deal with for 90% of my purchases. Bonus is they carry most of the brands I like, so it's easy to shop there. Plus they are friendly and do great service work.

Then there are other shops where you feel like you stepped in something just by opening the door. One shop owner spent so much time going out of his way to "prove" he wasn't impressed by "them tek divers" that I finally just smiled and left quietly.

My LDS is usually fairly close in price to what I've seen for the same gear online and I've already benefited by paying the little extra.

My computer had an issue and was under warranty so they shipped it back to manufacturer but it was going to be at least a month turn around, they loaned me the exact computer for free in the interim.

There are no LDS in my area that I truly like or trust. Denver has a high per capita of divers despite being inland and having only a handful of divable lakes within a two hour drive. Every shop I walk into has a used car lot feel to it.

I am curious on your guys/gals opinions on this. I work with my LDS quite often and notice that all their prices on gear is msrp.unfortunately they do not budge causing customers (including me) to go online to shop.

My opinion is that they loose a lot of business with that attitude. Having managed a retail business, I had a useless discussion with the owner about changing some policies to capture the business going out the door. The business has since changed hands. I haven't watched the new owner in action because I left the area.

Evolve or die

Seems that what happens. In the area I lived, we lost three dive shops and two others have changed hands at least once. I believe that the major reason was poor business practices.

Bob

My LDS is DRIS (Dive Right in Scuba), a brick and mortar store, which also has a big webstore. They price match. Great customer service. Great prices. I'm spoiled! :D

That is the reason we are here, to take special care of Scubaboard members:thumb:!

Don't mean to sound rude, but checking your prices online and from what I've seen they don't look that flash. But then I shop globally so perhaps they are good regional prices. Or perhaps SB members get a nice discount. Happy to be corrected.

Yes, you should give me a call then you will reach the satisfaction that many SCUBAboard members have realized.

My LDS is DRIS (Dive Right in Scuba), a brick and mortar store, which also has a big webstore. They price match. Great customer service. Great prices. I'm spoiled! :D
Yeah... you are. They're a very good company.

Don't mean to sound rude, but checking your prices online and from what I've seen they don't look that flash. But then I shop globally so perhaps they are good regional prices. Or perhaps SB members get a nice discount. Happy to be corrected.
Call them, and see what they can do for you... I was happy with an order I placed with them...

Yes, you should give me a call then you will reach the satisfaction that many SCUBAboard members have realized.
Yupp! I'm one of them.

I think it's important to shop at you lds. I don't take issue with ordering online.But if someone wants to see and feel the actual product the the local shop has in stock it should be purchased from them. Nothing wrong with ordering online but don't use the store as a showroom.

Back
Top Bottom