LCHF or Ketogenic Diet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you stay on keto too long the gut biota changes and the bacteria starts to eat the lining

I dont have time to find the studies but basically you need to feed the "good flora" diverse fibers of pre-biotics

I am a fan of lowish carb eating and keto for those that need to reverse metabolic syndrome or regain insulin sensitivity (also shown in research)

There is some evidence some people down-regulate T3, 4 staying ketogenic for long periods
While Keto and low carb diets may change gut flora, your intestinal lining will actually be refreshed much more quickly on a ketogenic or low carb diet due to increased stem cell production. This is especially beneficial to folks with autoimmune diseases or those with compromised immunes systems as a result of chemotherapy, etc...

Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system

While Keto and low carb diets may change gut flora, your intestinal lining will actually be refreshed much more quickly on a ketogenic or low carb diet due to increased stem cell production. This is especially beneficial to folks with autoimmune diseases or those with compromised immunes systems as a result of chemotherapy, etc...

Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system

plenty of evidence of GI cancers in long term keto (they are PHd - MD researchers and cite the PEER reviewed journal articles, everything is well cited)

Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets, II: Mucus Deficiency and Gastrointestinal Cancers - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Last edited:
If you really want some good science, this vet does a lot of blogging on low carb (he eats low carb but acknowledges the GI cancer incidence in long term keto eaters)

Hyperlipid

Gastrointestinal Cancers in Optimal Dieters
I learned over on Peter’s blog that Optimal Dieters have been dying of gastrointestinal cancers at a disturbing rate. Recently Adam Jany, president of the OSBO (the Polish Optimal Dieters’ association), died of stomach cancer at 64 after 17 years on the Optimal Diet. Earlier Karol Braniek, another leader of the OSBO, died at 68 from duodenal cancer.

A Polish former Optimal Dieter who has now switched to something closer to the Perfect Health Diet noted that gastrointestinal cancers seem to be common among Optimal Dieters:

Last edited:
The impression we get is that there’s rather high occurrence of gut cancer, including stomach, duodenum, colon … [source]

I want to talk about why I think that is, since the danger that the Optimal Dieters are discovering was one of the key factors leading us to formulate and publish the Perfect Health Diet.

Zero-Carb Diets Can Induce Mucus Deficiency
I ate a high-vegetable but extremely low-carb diet from December 2005 to January 2008. At the time I thought I was getting about 300 carb calories a day, but I now consider this to have been a zero-carb diet, since I don’t believe carb calories are available from most vegetables. Vegetable carbs are mostly consumed by gut bacteria, whose assistance we need to break down vegetable matter, or by intestinal cells which consume glucose during digestion.

Throughout my 2 years on this zero-carb diet, I had dry eyes and dry mouth. My eyes were bloodshot and irritated, and I had to give up wearing contact lenses. Through repeated experiments, I established that two factors contributed to the dry eyes – vitamin C deficiency and glucose deficiency. After I solved the vitamin C issue, I did perhaps 50 experiments over the following few years, increasing carbs which made the dry eyes go away and reducing them which made them immediately come back. This established unequivocally that it was a glucose deficiency alone that caused the dry eyes.

Conclusion
A healthy diet should be robust to faults. The Optimal Diet is not robust to glucose deficiency.

There’s good reason to suspect that at least some of the Optimal Dieters developed mucin deficiencies as a result of the body’s effort to conserve glucose and protein. This would have substantially elevated risk of gastrointestinal cancers. Thus, it’s not a great surprise that many Optimal Dieters have been coming down with GI cancers after 15-20 years on the diet.

We recommend a carb plus protein intake of at least 600 calories per day to avoid possible glucose deficiency. It’s plausible that a zero-carb diet that included at least 600 calories per day protein for gluconeogenesis would not elevate gastrointestinal cancer risks as much as the Optimal Diet. But why be the guinea pig who tests this idea? Your body needs some glucose, and it’s surely less stressful on the body to supply some glucose, rather than forcing the body to manufacture glucose from protein.

Fasting and low-carb ketogenic diets are therapeutic for various conditions. But anyone on a fast or ketogenic diet should carefully monitor eyes and mouth for signs of decreased saliva or tear production. If there is a sign of dry eyes or dry mouth, the fast should be interrupted to eat some glucose/starch. Rice is a good source. The concern is not only cancer in 15 years; a healthy mucosal barrier is also essential to protect the gut and airways against pathogens.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with keto, as long as you cycle off periodically, in my opinion

the keto cult does not like that, but that is what I think the science tells us in its entirety, in my opinion

I believe in keeping insulin levels low BUT

Carbohydrate is particularly important for supporting thyroid function, since insulin stimulates the

conversion of inactive T4 to active T3.

Last edited:
Well it’s roughly 6 months later and I am still at it. Not often in keto, I eat too many veggies, nuts and right now fresh picked strawberries. But those strawberries are worth it! I have made it through one Bonaire and two Cozumel trips. The first Cozumel trip I actually lost another 2 pounds. The last Cozumel trip was my biggest challenge yet, lots of fresh fruits and guacamole with the occasional waffle from the breakfast buffet and tortilla wrapped meal. And ice cream was a real treat. This time I didn’t drop weight but surprisingly I didn't gain as I expected. And it seemed like we were eating constantly.

So is this low carb diet something I can maintain? Yeah I think so. In fact, it really hasn’t been too hard at all. And Eric is still seeing a benefit as well just by my no longer serving potatoes, pastas and breads at meals.

As for bloodwork, no major changes there but then my numbers were good to start with. My stomach issues are still dramatically improved with only a rare day of discomfort. And those afternoon slumps are, while not completely gone, much improved. Arthritis pain is no better. Sleep no better.

The question I have now is if it is beneficial to alternate low carb with periods of keto. It seems to me that each time I flip back to keto I have a day or so of “keto flu” making it almost not worth it and temping me to just stay low carb.

I love low carb but it does make me sleep less well. There was this famous low carb scientist who died on a hike and he had a blog with all this fancy science on it and he took a teaspoon of honey every night before bed and posted all the reasons why it worked but I forget.

I use this as a 1-2 night "re-set" sometimes and it seems to work. I take Magnesium with it too.

GRC's | Healthy Sleep Formula

A lot of scientists claim shifting in and out of keto is best of all worlds because it keeps you metabolically flexible, the way we evolved to eat (times of scarcity, times of plenty)

When in doubt, rely on the lens of evolutionary biology

Mismatch theory is an evolutionarily informed concept. The essence of mismatch theory is that organisms possess traits (including behavioral, emotional, and biological) that have been passed down through generations, preserved by natural selection because of their adaptive function in a given environment.

Last edited:
The question I have now is if it is beneficial to alternate low carb with periods of keto. It seems to me that each time I flip back to keto I have a day or so of “keto flu” making it almost not worth it and temping me to just stay low carb.

I ordered some of this to use to (hopefully) mitigate the Keto Flu when I need to:

Exogenous Ketone Base

A lot of people use broth for "carb flu" because you lose so much sodium at first

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom