Cold Water Diving Diet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm mostly replying to this thread just to post the snarky popcorn eating emoji :popcorn: because I see there's potential for a lot of hot-takes on this topic.

But to provide my $.02, I'm no dietician, but I think the key thing is "calories", what with us burning 400-700 additional calories per dive, when diving.

Well that and avoid the double bean burrito (and other high fiber sources) as per boulderjohn.

What does that even mean?
eating "clean" typically means eating quality nutrient rich calories. lean proteins, long lasting carbs, good fats. not junk food full of salt and sugar.

Pizza, lasagna, ribs, lots of coffee, cinnamon roll…
3 double doubles, 2 fries and three chocolate milkshakes, 5 big mac’s, go to North's Chuck Wagon all you can eat and stuff in the greasiest high gluten artificial cheese loaded mac and cheese, just pull your chair up to the serving island.
Go to the taco truck on the edge of town with sketchy refrigeration and order 3 chicken burritos and a few shrimp tacos and stuff it in on the way to the dive site.
And yes lots and lots of black coffee, Wolfe Coffee, paint remover rot gut.
Or the mega size full sugar soda at 7-11 to wash it all down. Maybe a slurpy too if there’s room.
And don’t forget to be grossly hung over too from the night before, cheap wine or better yet cheap spiced rum.
👍👍👍👍

dark chocolate, walnuts, acai berries, dark chocolate, pecans, and cashews. put them all together in a big ziplock bag, leave in the window of your car or anywhere warm and then put them in the fridge the night before your dives. instant turtles.

great source of energy and a good way to make friends on the boat.

yes, the dark chocolate twice was intentional.

3 double doubles, 2 fries and three chocolate milkshakes, 5 big mac’s, go to North's Chuck Wagon all you can eat and stuff in the greasiest high gluten artificial cheese loaded mac and cheese, just pull your chair up to the serving island.
Go to the taco truck on the edge of town with sketchy refrigeration and order 3 chicken burritos and a few shrimp tacos and stuff it in on the way to the dive site.
Or the mega size full sugar soda at 7-11 to wash it all down. Maybe a slurpy too if there’s room.
And don’t forget to be grossly hung over too from the night before, cheap wine or better yet cheap spiced rum.
👍👍👍👍
= Warhammer!!!!!!

1728047929827.png

imagine that inside a drysuit.

I've read that it's important to keep your metabolism running strong for long duration cold water dives but never known how to approach it from a food perspective. Should I be cramming carbs the week before, making sure I have a big breakfast, etc?
i eat 2 eggs and bacon plus chocolate bar before the dive. work like a charm for me 😂.

👍👍👍👍
Now you’re just being elitist, we don’t have such delicious options up here in the hills.

McDonalds breakfast sandwich sometimes in the morning if if I'm running late and don't want to make breakfast. Usually bring snacks like Cliff Bars and other dense things. I dehydrate my own jerky, so I'll bring like 1-2lb of jerky to the dive site to share with buddies. I'll bring Gatorade and water to stay hydrated. If it's cold enough, tea or coffee.

But the most important thing is, when you get home from your dive, you gotta chill your cramped hand (from carrying tanks and weights) in the form either a cold 12oz or 16oz :cool:

McDonalds breakfast sandwich sometimes in the morning if if I'm running late and don't want to make breakfast. Usually bring snacks like Cliff Bars and other dense things. I dehydrate my own jerky, so I'll bring like 1-2lb of jerky to the dive site to share with buddies. I'll bring Gatorade and water to stay hydrated. If it's cold enough, tea or coffee.

But the most important thing is, when you get home from your dive, you gotta chill your cramped hand (from carrying tanks and weights) in the form either a cold 12oz or 16oz :cool:
I would like to invite your jerky, err I mean you to come dive in Monterey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom