layering wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hockeyman

Registered
Reaction score
hi i was wondering sence my water tempreture just went down alot and im not into purchesing a drysuit would work out if i pur a lets say a 5mm under my 7mm bevertail wetsuit

thanks for any replies

Have you tried this combination on? That's a lot of neoprene to move around in.

yes i have and it was a fair bit but for me not to much

Now for the next question- How much weight do you have ?
Thats alot of wet suit that is going to try and keep you at the surface.
Jim Breslin

ok i just leant from a friend that if you put a very tight shorty over all of it then it will be just like a drysuit is this true
thanks if you can help

hi have about 50pounds because of what i am doing i want to stay at the bottom of a very fast very cold river

1. This is getting scary, please fill out your profile.

2. What are these items? Just a beavertail, fullsuits, johns, jackets?

3. Other than that, rubber = warmth, rubber = weight

4. The tight shorty will not make a drysuit. If it's tight enough to make a faux semidry I would worry about your breathing and freedom of movement.

Pete

You might want to look at a flexible combination and ditch the beavertale wetsuit. They do not help to limit the flow of water through the suit that much - which will make you cold in a hurry. Many of the major manufactures offer Core warmer & fullsuit combinations that are designed to work alone - or together to layer for warmth.

For example, I use a 7mm Bare Artic fullsuit, and also a 3mm Bare Thermal vest that has an attached 7mm hood. The Artic fullsuit has rubber seals at the calf and forearm that limit water movement through the suit to keep you warm. The cost of the these components are relatively inexpensive (depending on brand), but at some point - or water temperature - you are better of going for a drysuit.

Dive Safe.

I've been a well fitting 3 mil steamer under a 7 mil farmer john, it does seem to make a significant difference in water. I was able to add the extra layer comfortably and without adding any additional weight, but a better fitting FJ may have given me the same results.

minikinminx:
I've been a well fitting 3 mil steamer under a 7 mil farmer john, it does seem to make a significant difference in water. I was able to add the extra layer comfortably and without adding any additional weight, but a better fitting FJ may have given me the same results.

No extra weight?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom