layering wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minikinminx:
I've been a well fitting 3 mil steamer under a 7 mil farmer john, it does seem to make a significant difference in water. I was able to add the extra layer comfortably and without adding any additional weight, but a better fitting FJ may have given me the same results.

You were overweighted. A 2mm shorty might be a absorbed in a rounding error but a 3mm fullsuit will move the needle. If you were able to remain down throughout the dive after adding the 3mm you were carrying extra to begin with.

Pete

I fully agree on the overweighted point. I was using nearly what I went through OW with, and have found that most everybody is heavy on their checkout dives. "It's for your own good, it helps you get down" I was told. I've dropped weight since then and can really notice the difference. I wonder how it would have felt to begin properly weighted?

hockeyman:
hi i was wondering sence my water tempreture just went down alot and im not into purchesing a drysuit would work out if i pur a lets say a 5mm under my 7mm bevertail wetsuit

thanks for any replies

If your 7mm has a little extra room then a 5mm hooded vest (or maybe 3mm vest with a 7mm attached hood) could help. That's not an unusual combination. Some people also like to put a 2-3mm neoprene gimp hood (aka ice cap or ice hood) under their regular 7mm hood.

As for layering 2 full wetsuits, 5mm and 7mm, I have heard of it, I guess some people do it, but I've never heard anyone rave about how great it is. But I have heard people rave about 12mm Otter Bay hoods, but I suspect there's a reason they buy the 12mm custom hoods instead of another 5mm hood to go over or under their old 7mm hoods.

Before I bought my drysuit, I would wear a Bare 7mm over a 5mm hooded vest. In a 50 degree water, you would probably get about 30mins of bottom time before you start getting cold, if you're diving below 40 ft.

You need to be very careful about the fit of the suits if you're going to layer. You don't want to compromise your breathing or blood circulation. If your suit is too tight it can be unsafe. I recommend layering to people all the time, you just have to make sure you're fit correctly. Hyperstretch is easier to fit people in while layering because of the flexibility, but you still need to make sure you're not too tight around the neck or chest to compromise breathing and circulation to the brain, as well as circulation in the arms and legs.

Here is some brief info on layering:

http://www.crazyscuba.com/wetsuit_layering.cfm

Good luck!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom