Layering of wetsuits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddler3d

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm new into diving and a drysuit is not yet in the budget...next year.

Most of my diving is in PA quarries and at depth they can reach a balmy 41 degrees farenheight.

Some time back I was trying to find out if anyone one out there has tried layering of wetsuits. No such luck...

When I did my cert dive, the air temp was 32 degrees, surface temp was 52 degrees and at the platforms it was a warm 44 degrees. I wore a rented 7mm farmer john type bottom and a 7mm jacket, a 7mm hood, 7mm gloves and 7mm boots. Needless to say I've never been that cold in my life! This is coming from someone who has climbed Mt. Washington in New Hampshire a few dozen times in January and February!

The first dive of the season I figured I'd try something and if it worked, awesome...if it didn't, well I wouldn't be necessarily more misserable than before.

I layerd my wetsuits.

This is what I wore and how...

1st layer...3mm Akona fullsuit
2nd layer...7/5mm XS hooded vest
3rd layer...5mm ScubaPro Tradewinds fullsuit
Feet...1mm Herderson socks and 7mm boots
Hands...7mm Akona Titanium gloves

Air temp of the day was 77 degrees...surface temp was 65 degrees and at 75 ffw, temp was 41 degrees.

Looking at the dive profile, we spent about 10 minutes in 41-42 degree water and I was fine! Granted I seriously thought I was going to burst into flames trying to get layerd up and at the surface, but I will dive this set up again!

I'm still going to get a drysuit next year, however I've got $250 invested in my body layering and it will allow me to go deep in my quarries.

So take this for what it is worth and happy diving!

Chris

When I dive sub 60F I dive the following:

7mm full suit
3mm gloves
3mm booties
3mm hooded vest (hooded part is 5mm)

I think the layering of the hooded vest and 7mm helps noticably.

How much weight did you need for this layering?

With my drysuit and 3 layers of undergarments, hood and dry gloves I need about 20-22 lbs.

paddler3d:
Most of my diving is in PA quarries and at depth they can reach a balmy 41 degrees farenheight.

Are you referring to Dutch Springs? I dive with a drysuit, but my buddy dives wet. He has a Bare 7mm Arctic full suit, which has seals in the arms and legs that help minimize the amount of water that moves into and out of the suit. We were diving a few weeks ago at dutch springs, and actually did 3 dives in one day and he was very warm in this suit. Bottom temps were in the mid 40's.

My point is that it depends on the quality of the suit that you're using and how good it is with stopping water from transferring into and out of the suit. A good 7mm suit should keep you pretty warm. A semi dry suit is another option, and I have read many good things about them. For me though, I'll stick with my drysuit! :D

You might also try a good pair of thick wool socks worn under the boots. This used to help me a lot for longer exposure in cold water.. I also wore 3-finger mittens

I have and use a 7mm farmer john, 5mm hooded vest, 3mm gloves and 6mm booties. I love this concept because as the weather and depth changes, so does your needs for warmth. The farmer john is the best of both worlds. It can be used as cold water protection as well as a longsleeve shorty.

Layering is the way to go. Enhanced insullation, better sealing and flexibility.

Neoprene socks in the booties are great too.

Fullsuits and hooded vests are my prefered configuartion.

Pete

I weigh 160 and I'm 6 foot...naturally I'm negatively bouyant...

Diving steel 80 with 6# SS backplate and 8#'s lead. Likely could have backed down to 6#'s of lead.

Bainbridge...

When the money is saved I going dry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom