Layering of wetsuits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A farmer is a leaky wet suit, a trick I use is a henderson Microprene 1mm crushed neoprene,its sweet cause its meant to be used under a wet suit as it has stirrups and thumb pulls,so it dose not bunch up.
It stops the water movement and thats the trick to stay warm,it works with my 3mm and my 7mm and I love it and it works in warm waters as a skin,
It will get you by but cold waters call for a dry suit,once you go dry you will love it,but to start out go for it!
Brad

Brad,

Thank you. I think you got the whole point of my thread.

Ultimately the goal is do dive dry, at least in my minds eye, no matter how miserable the conditions are, if you are comfortable you are fine. There are just better ways than others to stay warm. For the new person who may not yet invest in a drysuit, a layering of wetsuits works great, but doesn't beat a drysuit.

So until all of you out there that are in the same spot I am in, and may own and 3mm, a 5mm, and maybe even a 7mm, mixing and matching to suit your dive environmnet works just fine. Don't limit your self based upon the conventional wisdom of those with the commitement or a large discressionary income to extend your diving season!

Like Brad above mentioned the 1mm stopped water movement...I frankly think any layering of any suit will stop water movement...you just need to do it within reason!

Happy diving!

cgd

paddler3d:
Brad,

Thank you. I think you got the whole point of my thread.

Ultimately the goal is do dive dry, at least in my minds eye, no matter how miserable the conditions are, if you are comfortable you are fine. There are just better ways than others to stay warm. For the new person who may not yet invest in a dry suit, a layering of wet suits works great, but doesn't beat a dry suit.

So until all of you out there that are in the same spot I am in, and may own and 3mm, a 5mm, and maybe even a 7mm, mixing and matching to suit your dive environment works just fine. Don't limit your self based upon the conventional wisdom of those with the commitment or a large discretionary income to extend your diving season!

Like Brad above mentioned the 1mm stopped water movement...I frankly think any layering of any suit will stop water movement...you just need to do it within reason!

Happy diving!

cgd

CDG,
I started out wet and still dive the cold waters of Lake Michigan wet,and Florida's warm waters,diving wet lets be one or more part of the dive.I think most divers start this way and work up to dry suits for extended season and range diving,this is no a cheap sport if you buy the wrong things and I am cheap! hence Moneysavr! I got my first dry suit for several hundred bucks not a thousand as some will lead you to think,it can be done.
Now if I can get a bio diesel motor for my boat!man gas cost hit's deep in my pockets!
Dive safe,
Like to see a photo of you in 3 wet suits,you must come close to the Michelan man!

moneysavr:
A farmer is a leaky wet suit, a trick I use is a henderson Microprene 1mm crushed neoprene,its sweet cause its meant to be used under a wet suit as it has stirrups and thumb pulls,so it dose not bunch up.
It stops the water movement and thats the trick to stay warm,it works with my 3mm and my 7mm and I love it and it works in warm waters as a skin,
It will get you by but cold waters call for a dry suit,once you go dry you will love it,but to start out go for it!
Brad

How much did you pay for the 1mil suit?

If I'm quarry diving I wear my Akona 6.5mm two-piece. I'm always warm--in fact it's rare that I can feel water touching my body core since there's so much neoprene there and it fits me like a glove. :D

My dive buddies called me the neoprene queen for the past few years because of all my layers. Core warmer, 1mm, 3mm, neoprene socks and 3mm booties... and at times a 2mm long sleeve shorty and hood. And still I would be chilled after a few dives. I now have a nice and toasty new O'Neill 5mm and find that the one suit is warmer then the layers that added up to more mm's.

I got my O'Neill 1mm for about $80 at Divers Direct. Sierra Trading Post often has really good deals on suits too, but they don't get much variety in sizes.

Layering works, but drysuits can be bought for not a ton of money. I got a Bare Nex-Gen package for around $800, and it included everything (suit, boots, gloves, hood, hose). Of course, you should really take a drysuit class unless you know someone very experienced with drysuits that can give you a lot of guidance, and this will add at least another $100. But if you are buying multiple suits when planning to buy a drysuit in a year, it may be a better idea to use credit to get the drysuit now (though I'm definitely not an advocate of going into debt in most cases). If you'll use the wetsuits after you get the drysuit, then by all means layering is effective and a good way to stay warm in the interim.

I own 3 wetsuits and 1 drysuit. One of the wetsuits is a 7mm that was a couple hundred dollars and is less than a year old. It's unlikely I'll ever wear it again, so it was $200 spent for something that just hangs in a closet. One is a 3mm shorty that is also never worn. The other is a 3mm full that I wear often (I opt for the full over the shorty even when not needed for temperature because I like the protection provided against scrapes, fishing hooks, etc.).

Again, layering works and is a really good idea if you'll use the wetsuits in the future and/or don't plan on getting a drysuit in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom