Layang Layang or Mabul - Kapalai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azotomix

Contributor
Reaction score
Ciao Ragazzi,

I am planning to go this summer in August to Malaysia. I have some free mileage to spend to get at least up to Kuala Lumpur a free business class (never flew business) trip for my wife and my self. So what best as small present to her.

My concern is now where to go.
Sipatan seams closed and can dive only from Mabul and Kapalai.

I would like to do a liveaboard but can not find any.- So here is my question??

Where would you go?? Layang Layang or Mabul for a resort stay.?

From your experience which resort?? (Layang there is only one so no problem for the choice), I Mabul??

Anyone knows if there is any liveaboard?

For the moment I am in touch with
http://DiveTheWorldMalaysia.com
mailto:Malaysia@Dive-The-World.com

Anyone had experience with them??

Thank you for your help

Well, what do you want to see. I was told the best time to see hammerheads in LL is probably somewhere around Feb-May. Not sure what it would be like in August or even if it is opened.
Sipadan Island is closed as far as accomodation is concerned but you can still dive there. The only problem is that since now there are only a few resorts on Mabul and one at Kapalai, the price went up quite a bit.
Are you restricted yourself to Malaysia only?
In roughly nearby geography, Sangalaki, Lembeh, Komodo etc are not exactly that far either once you get yourself to SE Asia. I think there are some liveaboards around Sipadan/Sabah area but not sure where. You can do liveaboard from Lembeh as well and there are at least 2-3 liveaboards there in August. Komodo is a great place to do liveaboard also.

Well,
Both like to see sharks, school of fish and other big fish but my girlfriends love looking for small things which I will then take pictures.

Searching on the net our destination is going towards Mabul. MABUL WATER BUNGALOWS.

Thank you for your info. I will for sure take into consideration the dives in Lembeh and Komoto for next trip…

BTW who are you going with to Lembeh. If not a secret, how much do you pay for such trip? You can PM if you want.

Thanks again

Leyang-Leyang for open-water palegic stuff and Sipadan/Mabul for both openwater (sipadan) and macro (mabul/kapalai). I have not been to LL but have been to Sipadan last year. I have dived Philippines and Thailand also and Sipadan/Mabul is the best yet without question. See my Sipadan report in forums on Damnam link below.

Yes, Sipadan island resorts are closed but the resorts on Mabul are only 20 mins away by boat. On my trip, stayed on Mabul. If you want max. variety of divesites, then Sipadan/Mabul would be better as I read LL is mostly open-water. And also, heavily exposed to the mosoon season.

Azotomix:
Well,
Both like to see sharks, school of fish and other big fish but my girlfriends love looking for small things which I will then take pictures.

Searching on the net our destination is going towards Mabul. MABUL WATER BUNGALOWS.

Thank you for your info. I will for sure take into consideration the dives in Lembeh and Komoto for next trip…

BTW who are you going with to Lembeh. If not a secret, how much do you pay for such trip? You can PM if you want.

Thanks again

Mabul has a few resorts on it, so is more lively.

Layang Layang only has one resort, so is more dead at night.

Since you preferred an LOB, then I guess you like the quietness and intimacy of single resort. Perhaps Layang Layang maybe more to your liking. It looks like an aircraft carrier with small transport boats anchored in a deep blue ocean near a huge atoll. Layang Layang are all (mostly) boat dives.

For more variety of life and terrain, then perhaps Mabul/Kapalai and Sipadan would be better. If you stay at some of these resorts you can also just jump in from the pier and start diving, more freedom if you are lazy to go out on a boat.

Thank you all for the infos. I appreciate.

If I have to choose a resort I am seriously thinking for the Mabul Water Bungalow.

Now I have found the LOB with Celebes Explorer and the price are same as the resort. So I am now thinking to go for the boat.
Is there anyone which has an experience with the m/y CELEBES EXPLORER? From picture look nice. How is the service, food, dive masters…

Thank you again

The beauty of LOB is maximum time diving, but if you are not used to the limited environment then a land based is best for you.

If unlimited shore/pier dive is important to you, make sure it is in your dive package.

davidlkh:
The beauty of LOB is maximum time diving, but if you are not used to the limited environment then a land based is best for you.

If unlimited shore/pier dive is important to you, make sure it is in your dive package.

Hi David,
most important is to have the bigger numner of dive possible in a day and using all the air I have in the tank without being obliged to surface after one hour, this of course remaining in the limit of safety (not too much deco time). However If I well understood most of the dives are not so deep over there so should not be a problem…

I am waiting an answer for the LOB. Then will decide. Right now my decision is 70% LOB 30% resort. To night I will talk to girlfriend and will decide.

Will let you know my decision. Whatever it will be I am already very very excited

Sounds like LOB is for you.

As too the sites not being deep, well it depends on where. Sipadan is mighty deep. Mabul and Kapalai is quite shallow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom