Lavacore vs Neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
In preparation of a liveaboard trip to Komodo in late June, I would like to purchase a thermal vest. The trip includes couple of days in south Komodo where water temp may reach 72F.

I have 5mm wetsuit. It is new and well fitted. I read lavacore would be a good option as it is natural boyancy therefore, no additional weight needed. The downside would be it is not as warm as 3mm neoprene vest. If I get cold easily, would a lavacore vest be good enough for consrcutive dives in 72f water, or should I go for a neoprene vest although additional weight is needed and may not be as comfortable as Lavacore under 5mm?

Should I get a vest with hoodie attached or buy it seperately? (Sleeve option is out. I tried sharkskin long sleeve shirt. It was harder than a child birth to put on/off under my 5mm). Pros and cons of Beanie vs. hood? Does 'Bib' make much difference to add warmth? Will much appreciate your experiences and insights.

Last edited:
Ymmv but doing multiple dives in 72 f water I would go with neoprene vest separate hood, I would also bring the beanie that way you can adjust your needs for temp wise nothing worse then calling a dive cuz you are too cold

When I need extra warmth in addition to my full suit, I add my hooded vest. It adds several degrees of comfort. I have a long sleeve Lavacore top, haven't figured out anything to use it for except by itself in warm water on a visit to Panama.

Hello!

It very much depends on the person. In South Komodo, some people feel comfortable in a 3mm and others cry for their 7mm if the temperature is really low. Most of our guests are usually happy with a 5mm in general. However we do recommend to pack a vest/lavacore (not much difference) and hood in case the temperature drops drastically, which can happen in South Komodo. Most boats have a few shorties or hoods available onboard in case these are necessary for those days and someone isn't prepared.

Again, it depends on who you talk to but a separated hood would be my personal preference as you can easily choose not to use it and it doesn't drag behind you if you still want to wear the vest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom