5mm Wetsuit vs layering 3mm wetsuit with a vest/neoprene shorts etc...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwoolste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can I easily achieve the same warmth of a 5mm wetsuit by layering under/over a 3mm wetsuit with a vest/neoprene shorts etc? A 3mm is ideal for most of the diving I do but I will be doing repetitive diving on a Liveaboard this summer and have been advised that I will be more comfortable in a 5mm wetsuit after repetitive diving.

I find layers to feel too bulky compared to the equivalent single layer. But layers to offer more adjustability without having to buy multiple complete wetsuits.

I find that a hooded vest is one of the best "bang for your buck" in terms of increasing the warmth of an existing suit, but it's still a step below a full 5mm. Like you, I dive a 3mm almost all of the time, but if I'm doing 3 or more dives in a day I add on a 5/3 hooded vest (I have the Bare Ultrawarmth, which I think is great, but there are plenty of good options) otherwise I start to feel unpleasantly cold by the end of the last dive.

For a liveaboard in temperatures where I would normally wear a 3mm if I was doing a single dive, and where I'm diving multiple times a day for multiple days, I always bring my 5mm (which is another step up in warmth above the 3mm+hood). I'm usually happy on day 1 in the 3mm, but by day 2/3/4, the "integrated lack of exposure" builds up and I start to feel cold. My 5mm, which has much better wrist and ankle seals, saves me from that! There's nothing worse than feeling cold to the bone on day 4 of your expensive liveaboard!

TLDR: I always bring a 5mm on a liveaboard for water temperatures that I would otherwise dive in a 3mm because the cold "adds up" by day 3 or 4. That being said, if you are super comfortable in your 3 mm, a hooded vest is a great upgrade to warmth, but I would personally get cold on a liveaboard even with that.

Simple answer is no, you can’t. The first weeklong dive trip I did was to Bonaire. I bought a 3mm suite for the trip. I was wishing for something more by the second day. The next year I bought a hooded vest. It was better, but I was cool by the end of day 3. The next year I bought a 5mm and have never been happier. The plus is that it is great here in New England from end of June through September.
Now, do YOU really need a 5mm? Don’t know, but it’s easier to cool down than it is to warm up.
Either way, enjoy your trip!

Erik

I find that a hooded vest is one of the best "bang for your buck" in terms of increasing the warmth of an existing suit, but it's still a step below a full 5mm. Like you, I dive a 3mm almost all of the time, but if I'm doing 3 or more dives in a day I add on a 5/3 hooded vest (I have the Bare Ultrawarmth, which I think is great, but there are plenty of good options) otherwise I start to feel unpleasantly cold by the end of the last dive.

For a liveaboard in temperatures where I would normally wear a 3mm if I was doing a single dive, and where I'm diving multiple times a day for multiple days, I always bring my 5mm (which is another step up in warmth above the 3mm+hood). I'm usually happy on day 1 in the 3mm, but by day 2/3/4, the "integrated lack of exposure" builds up and I start to feel cold. My 5mm, which has much better wrist and ankle seals, saves me from that! There's nothing worse than feeling cold to the bone on day 4 of your expensive liveaboard!

TLDR: I always bring a 5mm on a liveaboard for water temperatures that I would otherwise dive in a 3mm because the cold "adds up" by day 3 or 4. That being said, if you are super comfortable in your 3 mm, a hooded vest is a great upgrade to warmth, but I would personally get cold on a liveaboard even with that.
exactly what I needed to hear, thanks!

I see zero reason why you can not layer a 3 mm shorty over a full 3mm suit. I know lots of people who do that sort of thing. It may be nice because you can skip it when you feel warm and then add it back again for maybe a night dive.

It is probably a lot cheaper to buy a shorty than a whole new full, 5 mm but, it may not be as warm.

Layering has been my tactic for many yrs. Work for me.
Fitting and material are very important.

I've layered a 3mm vest over my 3mm wetsuit many times when quarry diving in the spring before the water gets sufficiently warm enough to just wear my 3mm. I've never owned a 5mm so can't compare that vs the layering. But layering does keep me warmer than just the wetsuit.

Hi @jwoolste

Where are you going on the liveaboard, how many dives/day do you expect? What do you expect the water temp to be? What temperature are you comfortable in with your 3 mm, how many dives/day do you do.

Exposure protection and tolerance to cold are individual. I have a home in SE FL and dive a 3, 5, and 7 mm full suit +/- a 5/3 hooded vest every year to cover usual water temps of high 60s to low/mid 80s for 2-4 dives per day. I hate being cold and it increases my gas consumption. If I don't know the water temp to expect, I will often take two wetsuits with me to the boat and decide which to use based on current information from the crew. I always take the hooded vest with me for extra flexibility.

It really just depends on your cold tolerance. A quality full 5mm will be warmer. You could bring a hooded vest, get some neoprene underwear and socks. I would just get a 5mm if you can. Make sure to turn it inside out at the end of the dive day so it dries on the inside faster.

Back
Top Bottom