Trip Report Lauderdale by the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tired of the green water at BHB, so I went down to LBTS for diving today. Given that the closest inlet to LBTS is Hillsboro Inlet 4.5 miles to the north, and the second closest is the inlet at Port Everglades 7.0 miles to the south, there is some buffer space from the ICW water, I was hopeful that this would make a difference with regards to sea temp and visibility. Arrived at Datura Avenue at 0800. There are 10 parking spaces, close to the beach access, one of them is handicapped. Of all 10 spaces only one was taken, very unusual for this sight, regardless of the day. There was little to no wind, but a ground swell of 3 to 4 foot waves. I could see the water close to the beach, was greenish, but at that time of day it is difficult to discern what the water looks like further out past the pier. Waited for the sun to come up a little bit more and entered the water at 0900. Upon entry the visibility was about 10 feet with sea temp at 80f. Sea temp remained the same throughout the dive, visibility increased to 15-20 ft on the first reef, and 25-30ft on the second reef. There was some particulate in the water but nothing like the great big disgusting strands I observed at BHB this past Sunday. Since the waves were more of a ground swell type than local type produced by wind, there was a decent amount of surge throughout the dive. Ground swell waves were coming from the northeast so, this accounted for a weak southern current. I spent the majority of the dive out on the second reef. I have been on the lookout for Manta Rays given there is some kind of migration that takes place this time of year. I have seen Manta Rays, and Devil Rays at LBTS in the past, but have to do a bit of data research on what time of the year I have seen them. I did not see any today. The largest animal I saw was a small Nurse Shark in the 3-4ft range. Although I can generally find more fish at BHB on a given dive I was very content to be at LBTS today, it is far more aesthetically pleasing than BHB. Respectively, view of beach, closeup coral polyps, Queen Conch (my survey slate is 9 inches on the long side), Slender Filefish in a Gorgonian, Juvenile Highhats Video, and Hovering Goby (aka Blue Goby) Video.

10-25-22 Anglin Pier .jpg
10-25-22 Coral Polyps.jpeg
10-25-22 Queen Conch.jpeg
10-25-22 Slender Filefish.jpeg

Went down to LBTS for diving today. Arrived at 0715 just before sunrise. I don't worry about the tide at LBTS, only difference between high tide and low tide is another 30ft of walking to get into the water. It was a little breezy, with 2.5ft - 3ft waves out of the northeast. Visibility was zero for the first 100ft, 15-20ft on the first reef, and 25-30ft on the second reef. Sea temp was 82f, with water color 60%blue and 40% green. The biggest animal I observed today was a small Green Turtle, no Tarpon, and no Nurse Sharks, which are usually plentiful at LBTS. First dive was for about 145 minute,, spent most of the time on the second reef. Did a second dive of about 90 minutes, spent the entirety on the first reef close to the pier. Respectively, School of Brassy Chub, Flamingo Tongue, Green Sea Turtle, Lesser Electric Ray, Round Scad Video, and Gree Turtle Video

11-03-22 Brassy Chubs.jpeg
11-03-22 Flamingo Tongue.jpeg
11-03-22 Green Sea Turtle.jpeg
11-03-22 Lesser Electric Ray.jpeg

Went to Lauderdale by the Sea for diving today. Arrived at 0710, on a nicer more diveable day (despite what spell check says, diveable is a word) there would not be any parking left at Datura Avenue, given the conditions though, I got the VIP spot closest to the beach. Waited a little for more sunlight and entered the water at 0825, though it was overcast when I entered and exited. Sea conditions 3 to 4 foot waves out of the northeast, and sea temp of 79f. Visibility was variable from absolute 0 to 15 feet. From the beach to the end of the first reef visibility in the water column to a depth of 10 -12 feet was in the 10 foot range, below that it was 0. At the eastern end of the first reef on reef/sand interface visibility opened up to about 15 feet, I spent the entirety of the dive on the second reef, except for transit to and from the beach. For those of you not familiar with diving in southeast Florida a bit of history; in the early 1970's a group of individuals thought that making an artificial reef out of two million tires was a good idea. The tires placed somewhere off Fort Lauderdale Beach (known as Osborne Reef) tied together with wire rope, that disintegrated in the saltwater. During the last half century, some of these tires have been spread hither and yon from Osborne Reef. Many of the tires have been removed by US Military and private contractors. But many that have already miles from the reef and half buried in the sand become dislodged after storm evens like Nicole. You can see that from the included images. These loose tires reek havoc especially on soft corals. Very sad the hubris of mankind, at best good intentions at worst an environmental disaster still being felt 50 years after the fact. No large animals to report, just a normal assortment of reef fish. Respectively, Pier Break, Pier Break, Viz on a nice day, VIz today at same spot, French Angelfish, Spotted Trunkfish, Tire 1, Tire 2, and Tire 3.
11-19-22 Pier Break.jpg
11-19-22 Pier Break1.jpg
08-05-22 Coral Arch Directly East of Datura Ave.jpeg
11-19-22 East of Datura.jpeg
11-19-22 French Angel.jpeg
11-19-22 Spotted Trunkfish.jpeg
11-19-22 Tire1.jpeg
11-19-22 Tire2.jpeg
11-19-22 Tire3.jpeg

At the eastern end of the first reef on reef/sand interface visibility opened up to about 15 feet,
Your reef pictures are really 'Clean'. Our Jup/WPB reefs are covered with 3-4" (or more) in sand blown in from the hurricane. They are smothered, but a few months of strong currents with some swell action and they will clean up pretty quick. Thanks for the conditions report!!

Went to LBTS for diving today. Arrived at 0730 in the morning and secured good parking at Datura Avenue. Conditions were much improved from a week ago, with little to no wind the seas were flat calm, with a very slight 1-2ft ground swell. A few divers came and went for the six hours I was there today, but mostly the beach had lots of swimmers, I guess people out on Thanksgiving Holiday. Regardless it was a beautiful beach day, exactly what one would hope for in late November. Visibility was 10-30 ft on the first reef, in some spots visibility would just open it up, and then a few minutes later would close down. I think this was because of the very strong southern current present today. Sea temp varied from 80-82f. Usually when visibility is low like this on the first reef I skip and head to the second reef. However, I was not in the mood for crabbing my way out and back to the second reef, so turned north against the current for the first part of the dive, and then drifted back south for the second part of the dive. Since conditions were so accommodating I did two dives today. I was interested in trying to locate a certain species of blennies on the second dive which and in the process of assiduously searching them out, when I looked up to see a school of fifty tarpon right on top of me, less than three feet away. The video unfortunately does not do it justice because I had no time to switch to wide angle from "normal" mode. Think I am going to have to go back tomorrow, it would be a sin not to. I found what I think are two separate species of flounder today, see if you can tell a difference, it is extremely subtle. Respectively, Flounder 1, Flounder 2, Nudibranch Felimare juliae, Tarpon Video, Lookdown/Moonfish Swim Along, Sailors Choice, and Felimare juliae video.

11-26-22 Channel Flounder.jpeg
11-26-22 Shoal Flounder.jpeg
11-26-22 Femilare juliae.jpeg

We were there too and we’re also surprised how nice the conditions were, though there was some current. We got in the water around 8am and swam under the pier to check out the damage.

Thanks for the report! Those of us at desks far from the sea can enjoy your dive experiences vicariously!

Went to Lauderdale by the Sea for diving today. Arrived at 0745 and parked at Datura Avenue. Sea surface conditions were similar to yesterday, with the swell picking up a little more, and a little more breeze, almost perfect. Visibility was similar to yesterday as well 10-30ft depending on where I was, the further east the better the visibility. Sea temp was 81f, with no current. For those not familiar with LBTS, the reefs run parallel to the shoreline. The first reef starts approximately 130 yards from the beach, approximately half the length of the Anglin Pier. The first reef is about 80 yards wide. At the western edge of the reef the relief is only one foot, with soft corals growing on it at a depth of 17ft. Half way across the relief increases to about four feet with a ledge that meanders and is pock marked with holes about thirty inches across, some people refer to as a swiss cheese reef. The pock marks form lots of smaller ledges. The nurse sharks like to rest under these ledges, it is not unusual to see anywhere from 3-10 nurse sharks here. At the eastern end of the first reef, there is a approximately 100 yard wide sand strip. At the eastern end of the sand strip the second reef starts, and is approximately sixty yards wide. What I just described can easily be seen on google maps. Enter Anglin Pier in the search box, and change to satellite mode. The reef is dark space, the sand is lighter space. Because there was little to no current today I spent time on the first and second reef. Often is the sea state is not calm visibility on the first reef might be less than 10 feet, but visibility on the second reef will be 30 feet. If there has been little wind for a number of days the visibility can be as much as 50-60ft on the first reef, with about the same on the second reef, usually in the summer. You can see this in other trip reports I have done for Lauderdale by the Sea. The collapse of a small section of the western side of the pier has scattered some objects 200 yards to the south at the sand/reef interface of the first reef. Did a few REEF counts today, but have not submitted them, probably about 50-60 species per count. I have included an image of Mat Zoanthids. I believe is the same species with just different colors, looks like of cool to me. I like the next truck I by to have the same color as the blue Mat Zoanthid, I guess it would have to be a custom paint job. Respectively, Surface conditions this morning, Trash Can Holder, Sea Turtle Rescue Sign, Fishing Line Disposal Unit, Atlantic Blue Crab, Porkfish Squadron, Mat Zoanthids, Porkfish video, and Black Margate Video.

11-27-22 Surface Conditions.jpeg
11-26-22 Garbage Can Holder.jpeg
11-26-22 Sea Turtle Sign.jpeg
11-27-22 Pier Debris.jpeg
11-27-22 Blue Crab.jpeg
11-27-22 Porkfish Squadron.jpeg
11-27-22 Same Species Different Color.jpeg

Since no one can fish off the pier, can we dive closer to the pier?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom