Trip Report Lauderdale by the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pipehorse

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Went down to LBTS to dive on Friday 08/05 and Saturday 08/06, had planned on doing today as well, but considering the wind was not going to abate, I bagged it. On Friday the wind was out of the SE at 12 mph wtih 2-3 seas, sea temp of 86f, visibility 25ft on the first reef and 40 feet on the second reef, there was little current but the swell had tendency to push northwest back towards the beach On Saturday the wind was out of the SE at 16mph 3-4 seas, sea temp of 86f, visibility of 5-10ft on first reef, and 20ft on the second reef, again no current but swell pushed northwest back towards the beach.

On Friday I entered the water at 0945 from Datura Avenue went to the first reef and moved slowly northward towards the pier. Approaching the pier I observed at large bait of mixed species, Scaled Sardine, Spanish Sardine, Round Scad, and American Shad. One Snook and several Tarpon were swimming through and around the bait ball. A little disconcerting for me and the Tarpon when the school would open up and the Snook would practically swim into me before quickly altering course. After the bait ball I proceed east to the second reef. Swam south along the eastern edge of the reef for an hour and then headed back north on the western side of the reef until finding the coral arch which is directly east of the Datura Avenue. Encountered a small Green Sea Turtle, which I tried to video, but the Turtle was not having anything to do with a close approach, so no video. Did a REEF Fish count of 52 species in 60 minutes. Striped Burrfish are seen at Blue Heron Bridge all the time, but this is the first time in over a 1000 surveys that I have observed one at LBTS. Total time of dive 168 minutes.

On Saturday I almost bagged the dive. A squall moved making the water look most uninviting. But after squall past the wind subsided slightly and the sun came out, so I went for it despite the 3 to 4 waves. Nevertheless it was definitely a washer machine dive. Visibility had deteriorated since the day before. First reef was 10ft at best so I proceed directly east to the second reef where visibility was 20ft. Again the swell was pushing me to the northwest so I headed south along the west side of the second reef. I did encounter a large school of Bigeye Scad but the video was terrible due to the particulate in the water. Swam south along the reef for a period of 75 minutes, and turned back north to find same coral arch waypoint before heading back west towards the beach. Did a REEF fish survey of 51 species in 60 minutes. Total time of dive 172 minutes. Respectively from Friday, Graysby, Juvenile Three Spot Damsels, Large Queen Conch, Rock Hind, Sand Diver, White Grunts, Coral Arch on second reef, directly east of Datura Avenue. Respectively from Saturday, Florida Horse Conch, Glasseye Snapper, Lone Spadefish, Smooth Trunkfish, Striped Burrfish, and White Speckled Hermit Crab. Videos are all from Friday, respectively, Southern Stingray, Snook and Baitball, Tarpon and Baitball.
08-05-22 Graysby.jpeg
08-05-22 Juve Three Spot Damsel.jpeg
08-05-22 Queen Conch.jpeg
08-05-22 Rock Hind.jpeg
08-05-22 Sand Diver.jpeg
08-05-22 White Grunts.jpeg
08-05-22 Coral Arch Directly East of Datura Ave1.jpeg
08-06-22 Florida Horse Conch.jpeg
08-06-22 Glasseye Snapper.jpeg
08-06-22 Lone Spadefish.jpeg
08-06-22 Smooth Trunkfish.jpeg
08-06-22 Striped Burrfish.jpeg
08-06-22 White Speckled Hermit Crab.jpeg

Thank you for your report. Enjoyed it.

Nice picts and vid !!
Was there alot of lobster beach divers on Saturday?,,,It was rough out.

Nice shots! Good to see a Lauderdale by the Sea report; the site gets talked about occasionally, so there should be interest.

Richard.

Thnx for sharing

I’ve been there when it was a bit windy and wavy, surfaced into a crowd of kiteboarders with foil boards so they were going really shallow. I was wondering what had cut a small barracuda in two, then I had my answer. We were towing a flag as well.

Thanks for sharing. I’m heading there in a few weeks time and can’t wait to go diving.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom