Trip Report Lauderdale by the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been diving under the pier. The part that’s no longer connected to shore is safe because no fisher people can get out there. There are at least three nurse sharks that frequent the area along with several schools of fish and an occasional Sting Ray buried in the sand.

Before I fill in my typical "Went to LBTS for diving today report". I would like to add my fwiw take on diving under the pier. Prior to Hurricane Ian, and collapse of the west section of pier close to the beach, the eastern half of the pier had been closed for use, at least two years, and maybe even three. If memory serves I read somewhere that the owner of the pier (privately owned, not owned by the city) did not have the money to make the repairs. So if a diver or snorkeler or whoever happened to wander under the eastside of the pier there was no danger that they were interfering with any of the people trying to fish off the pier. However there are signs on the pier posted that read "Stay 300ft away". I am assuming this means everybody, but I would be more worried about boats approaching than scuba divers and people snorkeling. I have seen Broward Sheriff's boats close to the pier enforcing the 300ft limit with regards to boats that were too close, Last summer when I was close to pier and about to head east I had a Broward Sheriff tugging on my dive flag, I surfaced and he told me I was to close. "No problem I was about to head east anyway", he was nice about it, no lecture, no threats of a ticket, just please don't get to close. SO IT SEEMS THAT REGARDLESS OF THE PRESENCE OF NO FISHERMAN, A 300FT ZONE WAS BEING ENFORCED. My point is I don't think the collapse of the western section really makes a difference. I believe that if a Sheriff or FWC happens to be in the vicinity they will chase away individuals within the 300ft zone. I am not a structural/civil engineer but given the east end was not fit to be occupied, and a section of the west end collapsed, I am a little surprised that the whole structure has not been condemned at this point. Not an attorney either, seems like the whole thing represents a bit of liability and that the city and the owner would just as soon not have individuals diving/snorkeling/kayaking etc. under it (complete speculation on my part). So, dive under it at your own risk, whether that be risk of injury from falling debris, or risk of getting sideways with law enforcement that happens to be in the area.

Went to LBTS for diving today. Arrived at 0815, and parked on Datura Ave, close to the beach entrance. There were other parking spaces available when I arrived, by the time I was ready to get in the water all the really close parking was gone. Entered the water at 0855. Surface conditions were good, with little to no wind, however there was a three foot ground swell. Visibility was 20ft and hazy on the first reef, and 40ft and hazy on the second reef. Sea temp was 78f. Meandered around on the first reef heading north, then turned and headed east to the second reef, meandered south along the second reef, finished the dive by swimming directly west from the point on the reef which is due east of the Datura beach entrance. Did a REEF fish count, 50 species in sixty minutes. At the risk of being redundant with the BHB reports, I have been distracted lately by the search for different species of sponge as opposed to looking for fish and sometimes noticing other interesting organisms. I did observe 2 very interesting species neither one of has a common name, so one of them I am assigning my own common name of Bleeding Heart Sponge (Monan arbuscula). The other is, Clathria curacaoensis no common name. Observed a beautiful specimen of an Atlantic Deer Cowrie today. Time was I would have put this shell in my BC pocket and brought it home, but I don't have any shells on display, and despite the fact that these shells are not ideal for hermit crabs because of there shape, its still better to leave it for hermit crabs. This one did have a hermit crab it, but I don't think it was alive. Respectively, Bleeding Heart Sponge (Monan arbuscula), Atlantic Deer Cowrie, Atlantic Deer Cowrie, Moonfish and Lookdowns, Mottled Mojarras, Sailors Choice, and Clathria curacaoensis no common name.
12-10-22 Bleeding Heart Sponge.jpeg
12-10-22 Deer Cowrie.jpeg
12-10-22 Deer Cowrie1.jpeg
12-10-22 Moonfish and Lookdowns.jpeg
12-10-22 Mottled Mojarra.jpeg
12-10-22 Sailors Choice.jpeg
12-10-22 Sponge diff.jpeg

Went to LBTS for diving today. Arrived at 0815. Most of the good Datura Ave parking was empty, I managed to get the VIP spot, closest to the beach entrance. Conditions were similar to yesterday, little to no wind, and no clouds. However, it seemed like the ground swell from the northeast had increased in magnitude. I though visibility was better on the first reef than yesterday at 20ft, and still a respectable 40ft on the second reef. Sea temp was 78f. I did not see a single flag out when I entered the water at 0850. I set out on a northeast heading into the swell slowly making my way across the first reef, and sand space between to the first and second reef. Upon reaching the second reef, I headed north for a while to a spot due east of the pier (I know the coral formations very well here), and then turned back south, eventually turning southwest to take me back to the Datura entrance. Nothing out of the ordinary to report, sorry no Hammerhead, Manta Ray, or Manatees today. Did a REEF fish count, species amount unknown since I have submitted it on REEF yet. I did see a small Red Grouper, which I have not seen for sometime at this location. I also did a video of what I believe is Dusky Flounder. The Dusky Flounder (Syacium papillosum), can be confused with the Channel Flounder (Syacium micrurum), and the Shoal Flounder (Syacium gunteri). I believe I now have images of all three from the last few times at LBTS, and I am working on sorting them out. In my opinion these three species are poorly sorted out on STRI(Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute) and iNaturalist.org. I apologize for the Dusky Flounder photo, the iphone in the Sealife Sportdiver usually does a good job without lighting, but it is tough when the fish is the same color as the substrate. Respectively, Dusky Flounder, Goldentail Moray, Red Grouper, same Red Grouper, Redlip Blenny, Rosy Blenny, Yellowhead Wrasse (Male), and Six Keyhole Sand Dollar.

12-11-22 Dusky Flounder.jpeg
12-11-22 Goldentail Moray.jpeg
12-11-22 Red Grouper.jpeg
12-11-22 Red Grouper1.jpeg
12-11-22 Redlip Blenny.jpeg
12-11-22 Rosy Blenny.jpeg
12-11-22 Yellowhead Wrasse.jpeg
12-12-22 Six Keyhole Sand Dollar.jpeg

Went to LBTS for diving yesterday. Arrived at 0830 and entered the water at 0910. Windfinder had predicted very light wind for the whole day, and was correct when I got there, but by the time I was leaving about 1230 the 1-2ft seas had become 3-4ft seas with a concurrent washer machine feel while submerged. Visibility was 15ft on the first reef, 35 feet on the second reef, and 45 the third reef. Sea temp was 77f. For those interested, I am in 5mm Bare, with just my nylon hood (no thermal protection). One less degree and I will put a more substantial neoprene hood on. Since the visibility was less than stellar on the first reef, I did not loiter there, and headed to the second reef. Also since there was little to no current and wave action was slight when I started, air consumption was good so I headed out to the third reef. The third reef is shallow (8-10ft), is hard bottom with tons of Staghorn Coral and soft corals. It ends at an eastern facing ledge a half mile from the beach. There is a set of mooring balls directly off Datura Ave on the ledge. For me the mooring balls are a 45 minute swim underwater using the frog kick the whole way. In the past the parking meters took quarters and the limit was four hours. Now with the pay by phone, or the digital pay machine the limit is three hours, so I don't do the ledge anymore because it is too much time commuting back and forth,. Maybe if I got the Divevolk housing for my phone instead of the Sealife Sportdiver I could surface and add more time to the meter while I was out in the ocean? I didn't see anything particularly unusual, however I was able to get close to an Atlantic Bluespotted Cornetfish (Fistularia tabacaria) as opposed to the Bluespotted Cornetfish(Fistularia commersonii) found in the Pacific. The Cornetfish usually doesn't allow a close approach but this one just hovered in place, without moving away. One other strange encounter was with a group of three fish. A Gray Triggerfish, Red Grouper, and Gray Angelfish. I have encountered each of species 100's times, and they all can have a curious streak not seen in a lot of other fish, especially the Gray Triggerfish, especially the Gray Triggerfish when it comes to giving one of my ear's a painful taste test (thusly the nylon hood). Anyway the three of them arranged in a little group, I was so surprised I didn't think to take an image until the group had broken up and only got an image of the Red Grouper. Respectively, Simon Says Wave to the Right, Simon Says Hands Up, Simon Says Wave to the Left, Atlantic Bluespotted Cornetfish, Atlantic Blue Spotted Cornetfish, Red Grouper, and Sea Condition Before the Dive.

12-17-22 Simon Says Wave to the Right.jpeg
12-17-22 Sea Plume.jpeg

12-17-22 Simon Says Wave to the Left.jpeg

12-17-22 Bluespot Cornet1.jpeg
12-17-22 Bluespot Cornet3.jpeg
12-17-22 Red Grouper.jpeg

12-17-22 Sea Conditions Before the Dive.jpeg

Hi @Pipehorse

Cornetfish are beautiful, see them quite frequently on the reef in Boynton.

Whenever I see a funny group of several fish that would generally not be together, I wonder if they are hunting along with a Sharptailed Eel or Moray. That is true more often in Bonaire, occasionally in SE Florida. You see some strange groupings

Went to LBTS for diving yesterday. Arrived at 0830 and entered the water at 0910. Windfinder had predicted very light wind for the whole day, and was correct when I got there, but by the time I was leaving about 1230 the 1-2ft seas had become 3-4ft seas with a concurrent washer machine feel while submerged. Visibility was 15ft on the first reef, 35 feet on the second reef, and 45 the third reef. Sea temp was 77f. For those interested, I am in 5mm Bare, with just my nylon hood (no thermal protection). One less degree and I will put a more substantial neoprene hood on. Since the visibility was less than stellar on the first reef, I did not loiter there, and headed to the second reef. Also since there was little to no current and wave action was slight when I started, air consumption was good so I headed out to the third reef. The third reef is shallow (8-10ft), is hard bottom with tons of Staghorn Coral and soft corals. It ends at an eastern facing ledge a half mile from the beach. There is a set of mooring balls directly off Datura Ave on the ledge. For me the mooring balls are a 45 minute swim underwater using the frog kick the whole way. In the past the parking meters took quarters and the limit was four hours. Now with the pay by phone, or the digital pay machine the limit is three hours, so I don't do the ledge anymore because it is too much time commuting back and forth,. Maybe if I got the Divevolk housing for my phone instead of the Sealife Sportdiver I could surface and add more time to the meter while I was out in the ocean? I didn't see anything particularly unusual, however I was able to get close to an Atlantic Bluespotted Cornetfish (Fistularia tabacaria) as opposed to the Bluespotted Cornetfish(Fistularia commersonii) found in the Pacific. The Cornetfish usually doesn't allow a close approach but this one just hovered in place, without moving away. One other strange encounter was with a group of three fish. A Gray Triggerfish, Red Grouper, and Gray Angelfish. I have encountered each of species 100's times, and they all can have a curious streak not seen in a lot of other fish, especially the Gray Triggerfish, especially the Gray Triggerfish when it comes to giving one of my ear's a painful taste test (thusly the nylon hood). Anyway the three of them arranged in a little group, I was so surprised I didn't think to take an image until the group had broken up and only got an image of the Red Grouper. Respectively, Simon Says Wave to the Right, Simon Says Hands Up, Simon Says Wave to the Left, Atlantic Bluespotted Cornetfish, Atlantic Blue Spotted Cornetfish, Red Grouper, and Sea Condition Before the Dive.

View attachment 759350View attachment 759351

View attachment 759352
View attachment 759354View attachment 759355View attachment 759356
View attachment 759357
Here in the upper keys at one of the reefs an op feeds at, the triggerfish almost ran me off the dive!
Even a couple of defensive knocks with the camera housing didn’t deter them at first

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom