Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just back from Cozumel as well (July 23-30). Over the week, found conditions to steadily improve. Some noticeable suspended particles at the first part of the week, but vis always 60'+, and improved over the week.

The most apparent damage was a couple sites where broken branch coral accumulated just over the drop-off. Sad to see. Occasional barrel sponges detached from their original homes, but DMs are working to place them somewhere they can reattach.

Overall, diving was great and the Cozumel we all know and love with minor changes. LOTS of sea life (including 2 sea horses on Tormentos, 2 on Santa Rosa, and 2 found shore diving off Scuba Club Cozumel).

Downtown is bustling, with little obvious damage. Palapa and roof damage more apparent the farther south you go, but mainly cosmetic.

Diving with Christi of course was the highlight of the week. WOW! One of my dive buddies took to calling it "spa diving" it was so terrific! Can't say how much of a 180 degree positive difference it was compared to SCC's cattle boats.

Do not hesitate - if you're booked... GO!

scubacoz22:
Where did you see the Manatas? squid? etc. We are going on the 14th and want to know which reefs to request to dive. Thanks for any information, Kathy

Clay probably meant Eagle Rays :) We rarely, rarely, rarely see Mantas here...although I wish that wasn't true.

We see squid pretty frequently on Cedral Wall, or Las Palmas...but they don't really have a specific home...so you could see rays or squid turtles at any site really.

Have a great trip!

PS: Clay, just say the word...we're always happy to have you guys, and if there are more of you, even better :)

Christi:
Clay probably meant Eagle Rays :) We rarely, rarely, rarely see Mantas here...although I wish that wasn't true.

We see squid pretty frequently on Cedral Wall, or Las Palmas...but they don't really have a specific home...so you could see rays or squid turtles at any site really.

Have a great trip!

PS: Clay, just say the word...we're always happy to have you guys, and if there are more of you, even better :)

Christi,
We've read rave reviews about your operation on the board and will be in Playa Aug 13 - 20. Any way you could fit 2 more in for 4 day 2 tank dives (Mon-Thurs for the am)? It sounds like you are swamped and just hoping we could squeeze in!
We have our fingers crossed! :dance:

scubacoz22:
Where did you see the Manatas? squid? etc. We are going on the 14th and want to know which reefs to request to dive. Thanks for any information, Kathy

We almost invariably see reef squid at night on Villablanca Reef near the Caribe Blu.

Deepclay, Conditions seem to be the best they can be considering all. Info on credit cards... very helpful. DH, friends and I are heading down to Cozumel in September. It will be interesting to see first hand. I enjoy the experience of diving no matter what I see or don't see. Thanks for an excellent report, I will share it with my gang. Sue B

scubacoz22:

Christi is right in her reply to you. They were eagle rays and I saw three or four at different places. Sorry for the confusion. I have seen Manta rays along the Texas Coast many times while fishing, never from under the water. I saw the size and movment in the water and presumed them to be Mantas. Hey I guess the old saying is not true then, you know, "if you've seen one ray you've seen them all." I probably need to brush up on my aquatic species before I make any more outlandish claims. :embarass:

The squid I saw were at Villa Blanca in 20' feet of water. The squid were also seen by some of our party while snorkeling at El Cozumeleno. Really cool! I hope you get to see them. Have a good viaje.

leiserom:
Is the restaurant at Nachi CoCom open. Can someone answer that.

Nachi Cocom is still closed. Still no sure date when they will reopen. Sorry for the not so great news!

Beach clubs that are open on the west side are:
Playa Azul (north end)
Playa Corona
San Francisco Beach
Paradise Beach
Mr. Sancho's
Playa Palancar

Hotels still closed:
Allegro (until November 1)
Iberostar (until December 15)

We saw some squid in front of the Villa Aldora we were staying at. Also saw some octopus, turtles, eels, lots of fish. The water was warm about 87.

Kathy in Mico Texas ( just NW of San ANTONIO)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom