Latest entry requirement to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the schedule is still valid then Train 167 is the best, 2nd Class AC sleeper is good value. The conductor will wake you up just before the train arriving at Chumphon. Lomprayah has a small office by the the exit.

Thank you. I've downloaded Grab and set it up. I totally agree about the haggling. At first we were like, "oh, lets do the nomad thing and take public transportation" and then I realized I work my ass off and can afford to take car service. Soooo much less stressful.

Thank you for the heads up on the exchange rate. Now I just have to find a bank open on Sunday near Kaoson.
I exchange my money at home, if I need a lot of it. Otherwise, I just take my lumps at the airports and/or any proper ATM.

Oh man, forgot. Grab is best for local travel. If you want to go longer distance, Bolt is the way to go. Or the train. Train works great in Thailand just buy your tickets online a couple days ahead of time

Train works great in Thailand just buy your tickets online a couple days ahead of time
This is the way. The one time I showed up at the station without buying tickets in advance, going from Surat Thani to Bangkok, they only had 3rd class fan seats available, and the windows in that train car were stuck open. That was a looooong night ride...

This is the way. The one time I showed up at the station without buying tickets in advance, going from Surat Thani to Bangkok, they only had 3rd class fan seats available, and the windows in that train car were stuck open. That was a looooong night ride...
Yeesh. Was it that important for you to get back to Bangkok that you couldn't book for a few days ahead and stay in Surat Thani until then instead of putting yourself through that?

Yeesh. Was it that important for you to get back to Bangkok that you couldn't book for a few days ahead and stay in Surat Thani until then instead of putting yourself through that?
The problem with getting train tickets on the spot is that the train is traveling to/from Bangkok and one of the cities all the way out on the border. Booking ahead guarantees you a seat, and they fill the rest of the train as it goes.

My awful train example was trying to do that with a stop in Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai. Phitsanulok is half way up Thailand, so the train had to stop at every small town between Bangkok and there. By the time I got on it, the actual seats had all been bought up and I ended up with a standing spot between cars (for somewhere around 7 hours). It gets COLD on a train at night. coming back from Chiang Mai I didn’t have the same trouble getting a ticketed seat at the window.

Bangkok to Surat Thani would be reasonable to try day-of (I still recommend Pre-purchase). Coming back, you’re going to (likely) have to compete for a spot on a train that’s been filling with passengers since Sungai Kolok.

Pre purchasing train tickets is the way you want to go. You can do it online or at the ticketing window at the station

Attachments

• DC9FF743-C8E4-4D78-8606-38AAF1DD4055.jpeg
    DC9FF743-C8E4-4D78-8606-38AAF1DD4055.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 37
The timing of my flights into BKK don’t match the train departure times, and I don’t want to stay in BKK an extra day - means one less day’s diving.

I could do the return by train, but then wait all day in BKK until I can checkin to an IHG hotel (free nights).

The timing of my flights into BKK don’t match the train departure times, and I don’t want to stay in BKK an extra day - means one less day’s diving.

I could do the return by train, but then wait all day in BKK until I can checkin to an IHG hotel (free nights).
Are you trying to take the train to Chiang Mai or ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom