Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquabluegreg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
CDC Expands Negative COVID-19 Test Requirement
All Air Passengers Entering the United States

Effective January 26, 2021
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expanding the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States. Testing before and after travel is a critical layer to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19. This strategy is consistent with the current phase of the pandemic and more efficiently protects the health of Americans.

Variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus continue to emerge in countries around the world, and there is evidence of increased transmissibility of some of these variants. With the US already in surge status, the testing requirement for air passengers will help slow the spread of the virus as we work to vaccinate the American public.

Before departure to the United States, a required test, combined with the CDC recommendations to get tested again 3-5 days after arrival and stay home for 7 days post-travel, will help slow the spread of COVID-19 within US communities from travel-related infections. Pre-departure testing with results known and acted upon before travel begins will help identify infected travelers before they board airplanes.

Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers or documentation of recovery before they board. If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.

Adding to Dan's comment, I have a partial list of probably 50 or so resorts that are offering reduced rates, and in some cases FREE, accommodations if you are required to quarantine. Many resorts in Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cabo San Lucas, companies including Iberostar and Karisma. Onsite testing ranges from FREE to $150 USD.

It has been costing me $130 per PCR swab test before going to Cocos in December 2020 and to Socorro last week. Then I heard about this latest CDC travel requirement, which means that we would be tested both ways on the outbound & inbound of each trips starting January 26, 2021.

I’m so glad that the new inbound test would not be taxing me another $130 / swab test / trip, as antigen test is sufficient and many of the liveaboards will include the test for free. Also this antigen test would only add a couple of hours to get the result, instead of 3 days for getting the PCR test result.

I have 10 trips lined up from February to December this year, due to all the trip cancellations from last year that were rescheduled to this year + the ones for this year that I have already booked prior to the pandemic mess. It would be a bummer if I have to do additional 10 PCR swab tests that would cost me $130 / test on the inbound trips plus the 2-3 days of waiting period to get each results, before flying home.

Onsite testing ranges from FREE to $150 USD.

just watched a video online from a couple in mexico that got tested for 12 or 13 bucks. not sure which test exactly they had done but $150 def sounds like a total money grab.

I called American Airlines earlier in the week. They said a PCR test is required. The CDC site says a viral test. I can only find information that says PCR tests are viral. If anyone has a definitive source (airlines and/or CDC) I'd appreciate the info. We leave for Cozumel Saturday. I have a PCR test scheduled with CostaMed. If a Rapid Test will suffice, that would be great.

From the CDC:

What is a verifiable test result?
A verifiable test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy) of a laboratory test result. Testing must be performed using a viral test (NAAT or antigen), and negative results must be presented to the airline prior to boarding. The test result documentation must include information that identifies the person, a specimen collection date and the type of test. A negative test result must show test was done within the 3 days before the flight. A positive test result must show the test was done within the 3 months before the flight.

from CostaMed's site:

At Costamed Medical Group, we have the following COVID-19 detection tests for you; there are four types:

• Rapid Blood Test: Blood Test (IgG/IgM)
    • Price: from $ 799 MXN

• Extended test. Blood test (IgG/IgM) + Imaging and Laboratory Studies+ General Medicina consultation
    • Price: from $ 2,117 MXN

• Rapid Antigen test.
    • Price: from $ 999 MXN

• PCR test(Polymerase chain reaction). Genetic material testing
    • Price: from $ 2,499 MXN

So it seems a Rapid Antigen test fufills the requirement. $999 pesos is much better $2,400 pesos.

I called American Airlines earlier in the week. They said a PCR test is required. The CDC site says a viral test. I can only find information that says PCR tests are viral. If anyone has a definitive source (airlines and/or CDC) I'd appreciate the info. We leave for Cozumel Saturday. I have a PCR test scheduled with CostaMed. If a Rapid Test will suffice, that would be great.

From the CDC:

What is a verifiable test result?
A verifiable test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy) of a laboratory test result. Testing must be performed using a viral test (NAAT or antigen), and negative results must be presented to the airline prior to boarding. The test result documentation must include information that identifies the person, a specimen collection date and the type of test. A negative test result must show test was done within the 3 days before the flight. A positive test result must show the test was done within the 3 months before the flight.

from CostaMed's site:

At Costamed Medical Group, we have the following COVID-19 detection tests for you; there are four types:

• Rapid Blood Test: Blood Test (IgG/IgM)
    • Price: from $ 799 MXN

• Extended test. Blood test (IgG/IgM) + Imaging and Laboratory Studies+ General Medicina consultation
    • Price: from $ 2,117 MXN

• Rapid Antigen test.
    • Price: from $ 999 MXN

• PCR test(Polymerase chain reaction). Genetic material testing
    • Price: from $ 2,499 MXN
What is is about the CDC statement you quoted that you do not understand? It clearly states an antigen test is sufficient. An antigen test IS a viral test. A "rapdi test" is NOT necessarily an antigen test; it is quite likely a blood test, to see if you have already had the virus. It does NOT tell you if you have it right now, which is what the CDC wants. In your list, the Rapid Antigen test is what you want.

What is is about the CDC statement you quoted that you do not understand? It clearly states an antigen test is sufficient. An antigen test IS a viral test. A "rapdi test" is NOT necessarily an antigen test; it is quite likely a bolood tst, to see if you have already had the virus. It does NOT tell you if you have it right now, which is what the CDC wants. In your list, the Rapid Antigen test is what you want.

I answered my own question, things have changed since I last checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom