Late March Red Sea - Which sections?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that one, and it's a nice north/BDE combo, but it doesn't go south at all. Yeah, a little port time is going to be unavoidable if I go in late March, but that's not a huge determining factor for me since I'd still be getting in around 40 dives. And late May early June may give me a few options to do a single longer trip, but not many.

Interesting... I appreciate it. It's to get differing opinions like your two's that I started the other thread comparing March/April to May/June. Hopefully some others chime in there to share their experiences as well. Like you, I prefer to avoid the crowds, if at all possible, as long as I'm not giving up too much for it.

And yeah, I did look for longer, 10-14 day trips. I would have preferred that to get to know and have the same crew and boat the entire time, but those don't start until summer.

It is a very common simplification and misconception that because summer has warmer water, it must mean less sharks. Scalloped hammerheads are migrating sharks, not stationary. The Egyptian Red Sea is in the northern 1/3 of the Red Sea. There are no scientific proof for this I need to say, because no tagging has been done (paging @bojanowski), but they seem to move around quite a lot. When water gets warmer in late spring/early summer in the central Red Sea, the big scools that gather in The Suakin Archipelago and sometimes can be seen off Sha ab Rumi and Angarosh, split and move north as far as to the Tiran Strait. For them to move up in the water column, currents are more a decider than the water temperature, but they need to be there to begin with. It is a little different from year to year and seasons differ, but generally they become much more common in Egyptian waters from June and onwards. Spring is great for hammerheads in Sudan, but not in Egypt. Now with changes to climate and the unpredictable impact it might have on fauna -- who knows what it'll be like in the future. But based on the last 25 years, give or take. If avoiding crowds is a priority, January or February is probably the best months.

It is a very common simplification and misconception that because summer has warmer water, it must mean less sharks. Scalloped hammerheads are migrating sharks, not stationary. The Egyptian Red Sea is in the northern 1/3 of the Red Sea. There are no scientific proof for this I need to say, because no tagging has been done (paging @bojanowski), but they seem to move around quite a lot. When water gets warmer in late spring/early summer in the central Red Sea, the big scools that gather in The Suakin Archipelago and sometimes can be seen off Sha ab Rumi and Angarosh, split and move north as far as to the Tiran Strait. For them to move up in the water column, currents are more a decider than the water temperature, but they need to be there to begin with. It is a little different from year to year and seasons differ, but generally they become much more common in Egyptian waters from June and onwards. Spring is great for hammerheads in Sudan, but not in Egypt. Now with changes to climate and the unpredictable impact it might have on fauna -- who knows what it'll be like in the future. But based on the last 25 years, give or take. If avoiding crowds is a priority, January or February is probably the best months.
Definitely not a priority. I just don’t like people…lol…jk. But in your opinion, in terms of diving, late May would be significantly better than late March, correct?

Definitely not a priority. I just don’t like people…lol…jk. But in your opinion, in terms of diving, late May would be significantly better than late March, correct?
In Egypt, yes

Edit: If sharks are a priority I suggest checking out redseasharks by Elke Bojanowski. She's been running a shark monitoring program and been guiding on shark dive safaries in Egypt for some 15 years. The timing of those trips will give you an indication of when and where. Never planned in the spring months.

Alright, well, that's settled. I was able to figure out a good routing and just rebooked my flights for May 17-June 5. Thanks for y'alls help. Can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom