Funny, my cancelled Raja Ampat trip is the reason I’m scrambling to do this in March… lol. It was the best option I could think of (when everything I read said that March-May was the best time).I did BDE (trip report) last May. Overall, I enjoyed it, but our divemaster said it was the wrong time of year. We didn't see a single Oceanic white tip, and had a few 'wasted' blue water dives we didn't see anything - but also 1 really great dive we went to see the reef instead of blue water and a few hammer heads showed up and got close.
I am a much bigger fan of colorful coral reefscapes and less of pelagics compared to a lot of other divers and I really enjoyed Marsa Shouna, so if I did another Spring/Early summer Egypt trip, I'd probably go deep south. Not that I don't appreciate pelagics, but there are better places to see them, and the coral formations in the Red Sea are unique and better than anywhere else - at least anywhere you can get to as easily and cheaply from the US.
All that said, if I had the option to do BDE again this Spring at current airfare and liveaboard prices without worry about COVID, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I don't have either the time or money to do 2 big trips in a year, and I booked 3 Egypt liveaboard trips I didn't get to take due to COVID before that 1 I went on. So I am waiting until Fall, if Indonesia is still closed, BDE in September is a very real possibility.