Late Feb. Diving Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was hoping I could get some information regarding what I could expect in terms of diving conditions in late February in Oahu. I'll be on vacation for the last week of the month and I hope to get in at least 2 days of diving. Any pointers on good dive spots, operators, and general conditions would be great. I last dove in Hawaii about 8 years ago on Kauai and had a wonderful experience with Fathom Five. It was my first night dive and I really enjoyed it, especially the night dive I did, so anyone who does night-dives would be great. I don't have a dive buddy coming with me on this trip, so I'll be looking for operations that can set me up with a buddy, or a guide.

On my last dive trip to Victoria, B.C. I was able to find a shop where I hired a guide who took me shore diving one day, and the next day they offered a get together dive (lead by a DM). It was great because I rented my gear technically for 1 day, but was able to get 3 dives out of it (2 with the private guide one day, and 1 the next morning with the local group with the shop guide leading). Are there any dive operations that do something similar on Oahu?

Anyway, any tips would be great, thank you in advance!!!

Thanks Akdeepdiver, I'll certainly check them out!

I'll second the recommendation for Kaimana.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Akdeepdiver, I'll certainly check them out!

Please let me know how it goes. I will be there in the middle of April and I'm also hoping to dive. Do you know if there is any good shore diving? Thx!

There is good shore diving. I know Kaimana will do guided shore dives. Not sure if Hawaiian Diving Adventures does...I only dove off their boat.

Shore diving on Oahu is most reliable in the summer months (May to August) on the North Shore. It is possible to shore dive year round but you must have a good grasp of the surf reports and understand that conditions can change quickly. I always advise shore diving with experienced divers who have led others at that site many times before.

G

I second that recommendation. We can have some wicked currents here on Oahu and diving the wrong place at the wrong time can get you into trouble. There are many spots that can be disorienting and you can get lost quickly if you don't know the sight. There are many spots with good entry and exit, there are also spots with big waves and rocks so a guide would be a wise choice. The summer time is a good time to dive most of the island is pretty open minus a few spots. Be sure to bring an SMB, in my life out of the water I fly helos and have had to look for people in open ocean, there are often divers and swimmers that get caught in the current and it can be a huge help to find someone who is lost out at sea. It happens every year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom