Last Years recap and new years dive resolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Training...

Equipment specialty crse with GDI

Diving...
90 dives so far
Got to dive my usual sites in the St Lawrence River (submerged structures and wrecks) and discover a couple of new ones as well
Formally met Gcarter and got to dive with him and his son...lol
Got to meet Ayisha and dive with her group
Dove two weeks in Bonaire, dove Key Largo for three days with my son and GF and dove Les Escoumins for two days

Equipment...

scuba tools for regs, traded in two AL tanks for HP 117s, acquire one of those 1000 lumen DRIS light and a Go Pro
Upgraded my AL fishing boat to a 20 ft cuddy fishing boat which will also be better tailored to support my scuba diving activities

Training...

None contemplated with the exception of perhaps wreck diving (with penetration)

Diving...

Will once again attempt to get 100 dives in including more winter/ice diving
Two weeks diving trip in Roatan in February
Explore new diving sites in the St Lawrence (submerged structures/Lost Villages) and Lake Ontario (wrecks) either from shore or with boat
Attempt to link up with nearby Scubaboarders (Canadian and US) for some diving

Equipment...

Nothing at the moment

This was a really fun diving year for me. Although I only did 24 dives, I really learned a lot by reading and diving with experienced divers. I still have so much to learn and look forward to 2013 where we have THREE dive trips planned for the year....two to Cozumel and one to the Florida Keys (excited about this since it will be a new place to dive for me). One of the best things that happened this year is that hubby and I met a terrific couple last year in Cozumel, and even though we live on opposite sides of the country, we've become really good friends and our three trips in 2013 are with them. We are so lucky and blessed to have found our new dive friends.

Here goes with the list:

a) Gear purchases: New Fourth Element farmer Jane and zip top; new flashlight; new regulator mouthpiece (one that you do an impression of your teeth); new scuba boat coat

b) Training: Got nitrox certified

c) Any new dive destinations (or even older ones revisted): Only got in two trips this year. New: Belize in July Revisited: Cozumel (my favorite!)

d) Number of dives: 24 dives which included two night dives

e) Dive Fitness: not much different....walk about 4 miles almost every day; pump weights

I hope 2013 is as much fun and educational as 2012!

2012: has been a pivotal year for me. Got married with my no 1 divebuddy. Then decided to start on the long road of getting cave certified. Not an easy decision, since my wife doesn't want to dive caves, and I of course don't want to spend all my diving split from her training and doing cave dives.

The list:
a) Gear: 2nd drysuit ->New SANTI E-motion, 2nd set of doubles 8,5L, some more backup lights, still looking at new computer/gauge, new stagebottle.
B) Training: Started buddying up again with GUE trained divers to progress towards cave1
C) Philipines (tubataha and coron)
D) Number of dives 88 so far
E) started running again... about 30 miles a week.

2013: hopefully CAVE1 in France... maybe Tech 1... and a week red sea with my significant other

Well, where to start.... 2012 has been an AWESOME year for me so far!! And the fun is only just beginning!

2012:

• Moved to the Seattle area to make diving a larger part of my life
  • Got sucked into the Kool-aid crowd (GUE) and have met some of the most awesome people ever!
  • Broke 100 dives
  • First doubles dive!
  • Took (and passed) GUE Fundamentals
  • First scooter dive!
  • Broke 200 dives
  • Dove about 150 times this last year

a) Gear Purchases (in no particular order)

- Hollis 40 lb singles wing
- Hollis backplate
- Hollis 60 lb doubles wing
- Light Monkey 21w HID, 5 hour burn
- First set of doubles! Faber LP 108s with Thermo 200 bar DIN manifold
- Won a Liquivision Kaon in a raffle =D
- Mmmmmm, argon
- Hollis F1's: Black
- 2 ScubaPro MK25/S600 regs to go with my set of doubles
- Santi BZ400 undergarment
- 2 steel 72s
- Catalina Al80 deco bottle (operating as a stage with 32% until I take T1)
- Misc. equipment

c) Trips

- Revisited Hawaii and the shop I got certified through
- Lake Crescent weekend trip with great friends

e) *ahem*...

2013 goals:

• Take (and pass) GUE Tech 1
  • Take (and pass) GUE Cave 1
  • Continue to explore my local waters
  • Meet more awesome people
  • Start a diving fitness regimen (involving lap swimming)
  • Avoid getting addicted to scooter crack
  • As cheesy as it sounds, just having fun is enough for me. This last year has been jam packed full of it, and I dont want it to end! As such, I dont have a goal in mind for number of dives this next year. Quality over quantity.

Training:
OWC (final dives on Novembe 16)

Gear:
Scubapro Twinjet fins
Oceanic VT 4.1
Oceanic 3/2 wetsuit
Scubapro MK25 S600 regulator

Dives:
18 (ought to end up with a few more; flying to Cozumel December 29)

2013:

Training:

AOW (haven't decided where, maybe Bali?)

Gear:
BCD

Diving:
Have trips to Cozumel (December 29-January 6) and Roatan (1 week in March) booked.
Also somewhere in Asia over the summer (Bali? Philippines?)

Additional Resolution:
Complete the addiction!

Oh goodness. I only did about 12 or 15 dives or so. Hopefully I'll get a couple more in this weekend. My scheduled buddy just told me he's come down with a throat infection, though, so that might be out.

Gear: Got a HOG 30 pound wing, don't like it much... too big. Also got my MR12 II, and Dacor pacers tuned up. Bought a dry suit and finally got to dive it. A bunch of other stuff but nothing else significant.

Travel: Went to FL for a 10 day trip with my brother and really enjoyed it. Saw my first wrecks, saw my first sharks, saw my first Goliath Grouper. Very cool stuff.

For next year, hoping for more of the same. I don't have any planned gear purchases but may end up with a class by the end of the year, we'll see.

2012:

I accomplished nothing of note in 2012 in terms of courses or whatever but I had some really good dives in Egypt and in recently Canada that energized me.

2012 is also the year that I stopped teaching for the LDS. Not because I wanted to stop teaching but because I felt that they had taken a direction that I could not follow. It was a difficult time because it felt like the end of something and it bothered me a lot (and still does).

2013:

Reinvent myself as an instructor. No safety net but no albatross around my neck either. I'm reminded of a quote from a book: "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly" In 2013 Diver0001 takes flight.

R..

2012:
Training (Feb): Refresher Wreck Penetration Course with UTD and AG as Instructor (and had my ass handed to me as usual); mixed-team of conventional backmount doubles teammate pair, and myself in Z-system sidemount doubles.

New Equipment (Jan):
Purchased Liquivision Zen Bottom Timer

Dive Trips:
Apr --cancelled South China Seas Wreck Trip due to ruptured left cornea.
July --cancelled Cocos Island/Costa Rica Trip due to ruptured left cornea.
Oct --Chuuk Lagoon and Palau for entire month; only returned home to vote in 06Nov General Election.
Nov --Return Chuuk Lagoon again! 17 thru 29Nov. Got 1000th total career dive on the Kansho Maru. Dodged Typhoon Bopha which later struck Palau & Philippines. . .
Dec --currently in Santo Vanuatu diving on the SS President Coolidge Troop Transport Wreck, 02 thru 12Dec; returning again to Chuuk Lagoon 14 to 31Dec

2013:
Dive Trips:
Jan --possible quick sidetrip to Palau 31Dec to 06Jan to see how friends fared in the aftermath of Typhoon Bopha.
Apr --one week South China Seas Wreck Trip (Battleships HMS Repulse & HMS Prince of Wales)
Jun --one month on liveaboard M/V Windward in Bikini Atoll to dive the "Atomic Fleet" (USS Saratoga Aircraft Carrier; HIMJS Nagato Battleship; USS Arkansas Battleship; USS Apogon Submarine et al).

Last edited:
2012 has been pretty good for me too despite an ear problem last April

The list:
a) Gear: Set of doubles (7.9L x2), Dive Rite wing x2 (one travel wing), wet diopters for super macro, new focus light and a dry ear mask
b) Training: PADI self sufficient diver course
c) Dive Trips: Usual east coast UAE plus two trips to Philippines (Puerto Galera in April and Anilao/PG in Oct/Nov)
d) Number of dives: Target was 52, currently at 74
e) Fitness: Ear infection in April whilst in Puerto Galera, lost 3Kg so under 70 now :) lifting doubles helps

2013 Plan

a) Gear: no plans
b) Training: no plans
c) Dive Trips: Something special in June for my 60th birthday, hoping to have the time to return to Anilao, Philippines.
d) Number of dives: target 52
e) Fitness: Not to have an ear infection and stay below 70 Kg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom