Last Years recap and new years dive resolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 2012:
* Open Water Certification
* Advanced Open Water
* Nitrox Certification
* Drysuit Certification
* Bought full gear
* Travel to FL (hopeful)

In 2013 (hopeful):
* Ice Diving C-Card
* Rescue Diver
* Begin DM
* Hopeful travel outside of North America to dive

a) Gear purchases
New VDH back plate, HPR 2nd stage and the latest silicone diaphragm to optimize double hose performance, huge improvement! Presently swapping the wing from my Freedom plate. I need to decide when/if to buy a dedicated wing.
Yellow jet Fins that fit all of my current boots! Functionality and visibility all in one.
40 CF stage/pony, never got to use it. :( .... 2013

b) Training,
None for me but engaged in great mentoring relationship that has added some vitality to my diving.
Need to publish more Scuba Knowtes topics. I'm sitting on a lot of half baked drafts right now.

c) Any new dive destinations (or even older ones revisited)
None this year, a trip in 2003 would be nice. There are a few regional places I'd like to get to as well.

d) Number of dives
After a slump in 2011 we came back with 46 year to date, still low but that was with a July 1 start due to a month long RT 66 trip.
75 local dives would be a nice 2013 goal. I don't know if my dive/other stuff balance will let me be obsessed enough to break 100 locally again.

e) Dive Fitness
Rolling the scale back a few years (#10) would be great, more would be awesome. It sounds so easy!

So which had better diving Barkley Sound or Port Hardy?

Both really good, but nothing beats Port Hardy for concentration of life. There is literally life everywhere, and no rock is uncovered. I'll probably do both next year too.

a) No gear purchased, But plenty of different setups for me to pin down what I want.
b) Completed my AOW
c) Grenada, Carriacou, Indonesia, Puerto Galera Phillipeans, West coast Thailand
d) should be about 65 by the end of the year
e) hope to get in the same amount of dives next year and spend some time diving the UK sites. Start to get the key pieces of kit that I need, Computer, suits and regs.

2012:

a) Gear purchases

It was a significant 2012 in this department as I essentially replaced much of my gear. New Wetwear custom WS, DSS Plate, HOG wing, Hollis F-1's, couple masks, another tank, SMB/Spool, couple lights, and lots of little stuff. Budget was smashed..... wife would kill me if she knew.

b) Training,

The return to active diving had me doing Nitrox, and Rescue, both through NAUI. Due to a family vacation, I missed one class and dive, resulting in me not completing the MSD program.

c) Any new dive destinations (or even older ones revisited)

My first trip to Tobermory was a good one, and a return to the Thousand Islands was a great time as I also got to meet some SB brothers. Two charters on Lake Erie had me returning to a wreck I hadn't seen in well over a decade, and also to some new ones. Also, a return to drift diving the Niagara River took place.

d) Number of dives

Offhand, I think it was something like 20. Pretty good for me as the family responsibilities always weigh in as a conflict.

e) Dive Fitness

huh?

2013:

a) Gear purchases

maybe some steel tanks. Interest perked in SM. DS needs seals...

b) Training,

Need that 1 dive and 1 class session for MSD, possibly Ice Certification if the winter is a good one, trying to find a Peak Performance Buoyancy class, and maybe SM.... always looking for something to keep me diving.

There is a hope to get my Wife her AOW, and my daughter OW certs this year.

c) Any new dive destinations (or even older ones revisted)

More wrecks on Erie, hopefully Tobermory again, and a return to the Thousand Islands (Tony & Jim, you ready?) If I can get my daughter certified, perhaps some place warm for her (Largo?) Want to get back to Bonaire, but I think life will not permit it.

d) Number of dives

Well, if I can hit 20 again this year, it will be a good one.

e) Dive Fitness

yeah, right.....

Summary of 2012 ...

a) Gear purchases - most notably a Bare XCS2 drysuit and a Shearwater Petrel dive computer ... oh, and I upgraded my photography kit to a Canon T2i DSLR with Sea & Sea Housing, wide angle and macro lenses and ports, and a really nice focus light.

b) Training - took a photography workshop

c) Dive Destinations - Maldives (Jan/Feb), Sechelt Inlet (May), Barkley Sound (July), Florida cave country (Aug/Sep), and Port Hardy (Sep). And a non-diving trip to Zambia/Botswana, which I just returned from ... this is the first non-diving vacation I've had since I learned how to scuba dive.

d) Number of dives - haven't really checked my logs, but well over 200 dives this year

e) Dive fitness - continue my workout regimen at the local gym, but I'd call that more being active than being fit

f) Other things of note - This was my best teaching year ever ... thanks in large part to a skills workshop which I designed for one individual and then discovered a lot of people wanted to take.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

2012: Got my own gear & got AOW Certified
2013: Get Nitrox Cert, see some more of the nice wrecks between Palm Beach & the Keys, beach dives by the full moon, and ???

2012: The year started with great promise to be among my best ever, came crashing to the depths of despair when an accident injured me badly enough to eliminate most of that promise, and is finally returning to normal.

a) Gear purchases - I bought a Hollis scooter. I tried to buy a Hollis 25 Watt dive light, but after 4 months it has still not arrived. Apparently some technical problems.

b) Training - Got certified to teach tech classes through TDI

c) Dive Destinations - Started in Florida. After my recovery, I got in some dives in Cozumel, Akumal, and the Bahamas.

d) Number of dives - Bad year with all the lost time--only 70 dives.

e) Dive fitness - After my bicycle was destroyed along with my courage to ride outdoors, I focused on stationery bike work and some weight training.

f) Other things of note - I created an advanced recreational diving and technical diving program for the shop with which I am now associated. We were about to announce it when an idiot going at high speed took a blind curve on a bike path on the inside. As a result, the program's introduction was greatly delayed. We have not even announced it now.

g) Plans for the next year - get that program going.

Summary of 2012 ...

a) Gear purchases - most notably a Bare XCS2 drysuit and a Shearwater Petrel dive computer ... oh, and I upgraded my photography kit to a Canon T2i DSLR with Sea & Sea Housing, wide angle and macro lenses and ports, and a really nice focus light.

I have a T3i with wide angle and was looking to get a macro lens. Cant decide whether to go with 60 mm or 100mm. Which Macro lens did you end up getting and how happy are you with it?

---------- Post added November 28th, 2012 at 01:51 PM ----------

d) Number of dives - Bad year with all the lost time--only 70 dives.

70 dives shouldn't make you sad. Being land locked adds a lot of cost to diving. Being in DC I was only able to get 15 dives last year. Every dive has to be a dive trip with transportation charges and accommodation. I have totally stopped comparing my dive count to some of the coastal folks who are boasting 200 dives a year. Id have to be a millionaire to do that.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2012 at 01:54 PM ----------

Seems like a whole bunch of peeps are looking to do ice diving this season. To all those East Coast folks who are planning to go under ice, do you guys have a location in mind? I was thinking of doing it in St Lawrence River. Let me know if anyone would like to join and we can register as a group.

Gear: New dry suit, Fusion, which I love and a new camera outfit- downsized from a Full frame DSLR to an Olympus OM-D in a Nauticam housing.

Training: Stress & rescue, and starting my DiveCon training (back to the books)

Travel: Curacao, Cozmel, Rivera Maya and the Cenotes, shark tooth diving off Venice, Cape Anne Mass, Maryland Coast on wrecks, and the Aqua Cat (Bahamas a second time) besides our fabulous, local quarry dives.

Dives: Just about a hundred.

Fitness: I am just retiring, so starting to gear up on the fitness side, which is already showing success in the weight category and fitness improvement.

2013 is shaping up to be a busy dive year, although the next two months will be quiet outside of my work for my DiveCon Certification. I will be diving with my original dive buddy, my daughter (back from college studying Marine Biology), for a week in Cayman Brac in March.

Happy Diving in 2013!

Back
Top Bottom