Last minute tricks, tips or tidbits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Super excited to try cozumel again. We will arrive Sat at 1130a, staying at El Cantil and diving with Blue XTC. Have a dedicated debit card to get a pocketfull of pesos so I can practice my conversion math skills. Staying till following Sunday. If we hit every restaurant on my list of options we will eat 14 meals per day ( time to narrow it down). Only 4 days diving planned but can always add more if we are impressed. Got all dive gear packed and dive camera charged and ready. This trip is about diving, eating, drinking, having fun and chilling. Any last minute advice or suggestions? Bill and Dee Dee

You've got it all covered... Dive, eat, drink, have fun and when things don't go according to plan, chill and enjoy. Some of the best experiences I've had have been when things didn't go according to my plan.

Read the sticky at the top of the page :
Arriving/Departing the Cozumel Airport - A Guided Tour
There is a lot of good info there.

The hardest part of this trip for me is waiting for the shuttle to take off.
You can be the first through immigration, your bags can be first off the
conveyor,
and sail through customs. But the shuttles are sorted to certain areas of the island, and will not leave until they are full. I've waited more than 25 minutes several times.
I'm used to it now, but being type A, it was tough the first few trips.
I once left one of my wife's bags in the shuttle, and a half hour later it was returned by the shuttle driver. We love Cozumel and it's people, it is our go-to scuba destination.

Make sure you keep small denominations of currency (dollar bills or low peso notes) on hand for small purchases and tips. Taxi drivers are notorious for not having change and it sucks to have only $500 peso notes from an ATM when you need a 10 peso taxi ride or want to give someone a dollar tip.

Attachments

• IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 47
Right now is the best time to swim with whalesharks in the blue water, about 3 miles NE of Isla Mujeres, ~ 2hr boat ride from Cozumel. There are hundreds of them there. You won't miss them. So, no diving, just snorkeling with them. Check out my video that I took 2 weeks ago, below:

Below are drone pictures of the whaleshark party from @Ken Kurtis. Definitely it is a snorkeling tour that you don't want to miss when you are in the neighborhood from July to September. They are about the size of the boats (shown as white specs in the blue):

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4352.JPG

Last edited:
Right now is the best time to swim with whalesharks in the blue water, about 3 miles NE of Isla Mujeres, ~ 2hr boat ride from Cozumel. There are hundreds of them there. You won't miss them. So, no diving, just snorkeling with them. Check out my video that I took 2 weeks ago, below:

Below are drone pictures of the whaleshark party from @Ken Kurtis. Definitely it is a snorkeling tour that you don't want to miss when you are in the neighborhood from July to September. They are about the size of the boats (shown as white specs in the blue):

View attachment 418839
View attachment 418840

OMFG!

I'm now going to the SouthWest web site....

Super excited to try cozumel again. We will arrive Sat at 1130a, staying at El Cantil and diving with Blue XTC. Have a dedicated debit card to get a pocketfull of pesos so I can practice my conversion math skills. Staying till following Sunday. If we hit every restaurant on my list of options we will eat 14 meals per day ( time to narrow it down). Only 4 days diving planned but can always add more if we are impressed. Got all dive gear packed and dive camera charged and ready. This trip is about diving, eating, drinking, having fun and chilling. Any last minute advice or suggestions? Bill and Dee Dee

Crazy King and/or Gorditos Burritos.

Museo de la Isla de Cozumel. An hour or so well-spent. I think everyone should go there at least once.

Don't forget to tip the person bagging your groceries at MEGA or Chedraui a few pesos.

Last edited:
OMFG!

I'm now going to the SouthWest web site....

:D

It is snapper spawning season after all. They are skimming the snapper eggs & consuming about 200-300 lbs/day of those eggs that are floating on the surface due to the upcurrent in that region of the sea. When I swam with them, I found snapper eggs on my hair, wetsuit, everywhere. Some people saw some mantas joining the party too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom