Last minute tricks, tips or tidbits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below are drone pictures of the whaleshark party from @Ken Kurtis. Definitely it is a snorkeling tour that you don't want to miss when you are in the neighborhood from July to September. They are about the size of the boats (shown as white specs in the blue):

View attachment 418839
View attachment 418840

Amazing. Sure beats what I saw there last July. Apparently we were just there during the wrong week. I think there were less than 10 in the area. Not this for sure!

Agreed - the Whale Shark experience is a National Geographic experience. I can set that up for you Bill and Dee once you get here. It's a 5:45am ferry ride to Playa, then a shuttle to the port in Cancun and a 1 - 2 hour boat ride out - but well worth it. You're back on the island by 4 or 5

Agreed - the Whale Shark experience is a National Geographic experience. I can set that up for you Bill and Dee once you get here. It's a 5:45am ferry ride to Playa, then a shuttle to the port in Cancun and a 1 - 2 hour boat ride out - but well worth it. You're back on the island by 4 or 5

On my up-and-coming trip to Isla Mujeres (from Cozumel) I was thinking of taking the ADO from Playa to the Cancun bus terminal and then a taxi to the ferry but you just suggested a shuttle from Playa to the ferry. Is the ADO/taxi a bad idea? Is there a particular shuttle company you recommend?

The hardest part of this trip for me is waiting for the shuttle to take off.
You can be the first through immigration, your bags can be first off the
conveyor,
and sail through customs. But the shuttles are sorted to certain areas of the island, and will not leave until they are full. I've waited more than 25 minutes several times.

That's why my first stop after I exit the front doors is that little bar...

If just for 1-2 persons, I arrange my transportation with BestDay.com Reserve your shuttle! For more than 2 persons, I go with Cancun Airport Transportation by CARM Transfers

My last trip I actually stayed in Ixchel Beach Hotel and went with Mexico Divers, Diving Isla Mujeres & Cancun - Book Diving & Activities in Isla Mujeres & Cancun The trip was only 1.5 hr boat ride from Isla Mujeres & 1 hour on the way back. We had a nice ceviche right on the Ixchel beach after the tour around 3pm.

Last edited:
Make sure you keep small denominations of currency (dollar bills or low peso notes) on hand for small purchases and tips. Taxi drivers are notorious for not having change and it sucks to have only $500 peso notes from an ATM when you need a 10 peso taxi ride or want to give someone a dollar tip.

Reef hound is right - With the Peso being so cheap I ran out of low denomination Pesos all the time and had nothing for little tips here and there. Next trip I'm going to bring $100 USD in $1 bills so I always have $1s for tips here, there and everywhere.

Dang
Reef hound is right - With the Peso being so cheap I ran out of low denomination Pesos all the time and had nothing for little tips here and there. Next trip I'm going to bring $100 USD in $1 bills so I always have $1s for tips here, there and everywhere.

Dang, I must be over-tipping. I bring about $100 US in five dollar bills and then switch to 100 pesos. I'll tip 20%-50% for a cab ride and they supposedly don't expect tips. I tip 20% for restaurants because that's what I'm used to in California. If the 10% tip is included I still tip another 10%.

When I was in Puerto Vallarta in May I quit haggling after realizing just how bad the economy was at the time and paid the asking price which is generally something that you simply don't do in Mexico. We became aware after talking a guy down from 700 MX to 300 MX for a bracelet and he looked like he was going to cry because now he had money to eat with that day!

The way I see it is on a trip that is costing me a couple of thousand dollars I'm not going to miss $5 but it might make a big difference to the person that gets it.

Leaving tomorrow here are a few tips. Last week I was told currents were bad af times, there was a lot of sand on the reef at Columbia. Did a night dive Saturday at Deliala anx the current was ripping. Its slowed down though and even Tunich was moderate today.

You can always walk across traffic circle at the airport and catch a cab.

Dont let clouds or a thunder storm change your plans, they come and go quickly.

If current is strong during a dive, try to stay inline but a little ways behind the dive master. It will givs you time to react if the group stops.

Mega did not have Bohemia Obscura the two times i check this week so look else where.

Dive every day possible. You never know what the weather will be like tomorrow.

Speaking of Cozumel tips, does anyone know how to say "jelly beans" in Spanish? The translator on Google gives me what would be translated from Spanish to English as "bean jelly." Not quite the same thing.

I tried asking in Vallarta at a candy store and at the Casa Ley but nobody seemed to understand what I was asking for. Do jelly beans not exist in Mexico? I did end up with some nice candied fruit though :)

Edit: I just discovered that Brach's Jelly Beans are made in Mexico. Someone must sell them...

Hmmm, I wonder if they come in jalepeno flavor

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom