Lasik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got mine done just a little over a year ago now, and havent had a single problem. I love it.

My wife got it done about 10 months ago and while she was very sensitive to light for a few days and had some minor irritation for about a week, she says it is the best thing she ever did.

kelphelper:
... in December. Our surgeon has this huge OR with a wall of glass for spectators. There are monitors over each station so I was able to see each of her eyes get done in elaborate detail. If a parent can handle that, it must be OK!! And believe me... I was a VERY empathetic parent when our kids were young. I felt every little pain!

My greatest fear about LASIK or any other delicate operation is the risk of an earthquake while it's happening.

The instruments sort of attach to your face and float with it, so if you move your head a little (or there's an earthquake), it's not a problem. Your head is not strapped down to the table, so there has to be room for movement.

I did this three years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. I felt like I had a brand new set of eyeballs. I had worn glasses for 33 years and was damn sick and tired of them. I was up to -7.5 diopters. Now I can drive and read without glasses.

The reason I waited so long was I was chicken. But after watching what my wife went through to beat cancer, I knew I couldn't use that excuse anymore. So I made up my mind I was going to do it. I called on the courage of all my ancesters (and then I took valium). The ten most intense minutes of my life, and then it was over.

Go for it!

PS My surgeon had free pizza for everybody.

I've had horrible vision all my life, but am corrected well with my contact lenses.

I'm just not confident enough in the procedure and knowing it's long term effects. I'd rather continue to put up with the inconvenience of putting my contact lenses in or wearing glasses than have a disaster concerning my sight.

I know that many people love the results. I have not actually read the site that Shaka posted the URL to, but expect that like anything you have people on both sides of the issue.

Christian

but have yet to work up the courage. My optometrist is having it done this year...I will wait and see how his turns out, and maybe next year, when I am elligible for the company's pre-tax medical savings thing... I am pretty nearsighted - my contacts are a -6.0 and -6.5, and it would be nice to see the alarm clock.

kelpmermaid:
and maybe next year, when I am elligible for the company's pre-tax medical savings thing...

Now there is a good reason to wait a bit!!

One reason I waited was to let the technology advance and the other.... because I was too...thrifty... to do it sooner!!!

Had it done last October. My vision improved to 20/15, and there were no complications. For me, the afternoon and evening I had it done were brutal...my eyes burned like someone had burned them with a laser...go figure. The next day, no more pain, and perfect vision. I waited 1 month to get back in the water, and the first dive without contacts was awesome. I highly recommend getting it done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom