Lasik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCdiving Deb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all:

I know this has been discussed intensely in the dive med forum, but I am getting LASIK this month and when I mentioned it in another thread, ShakaZulu replied. Maybe we want to talk about it here among friends??

He said:
ShakaZulu:
I'm too scared to do it.........when I go to an optometry convention and no-one is wearing classes, then I will consider it.
And my reply is: I have wanted this since I first heard of RK or whatever it was back then.... 1983 or so. Back then, I did not want to be a guinea pig. I figure it's advanced enough by now. I don't want to wait a minute longer!

I just wish I'd done it prior to needing reading glasses too. That would have been bliss!

Deb

kelphelper:
Hey all:

I know this has been discussed intensely in the dive med forum, but I am getting LASIK this month and when I mentioned it in another thread, ShakaZulu replied. Maybe we want to talk about it here among friends??

He said:
And my reply is: I have wanted this since I first heard of RK or whatever it was back then.... 1983 or so. Back then, I did not want to be a guinea pig. I figure it's advanced enough by now. I don't want to wait a minute longer!

I just wish I'd done it prior to needing reading glasses too. That would have been bliss!

Deb

I did it a few years ago. For me, it is great. I found the procedure to be easy to deal with and I drove myself to work the next day. In the pool a week later.

One of the best things I ever did.

Bought lasiks as a Christmas present three years ago for Joanne. She was damned near blind without contacts and now has 20/15 vision. No bad side effects, no halos, her night vision has always been bad but is no worse than before. She is ecstatic to this day at being able to SEE when she opens her eyes in the morning. Although, I probably looked better in the morning back then.

Terry

I'll second no fish's statements. I got it done about 6 years ago. I went from something awful (I can't even remember the numbers) to 20/15 overnight (I was the last patient of the day at 5:30 PM, and went in for the mandatory follow-up exam at 6 AM). I've had some issues with glare, but I had those issues with contacts prior to that. The doctor also told me to expect it based on his exam (the exam showed that in low light my pupils were going to dilate past the points that would get corrected). If you're worried, it hasn't made a difference in my night vision during diving. It was well worth the price when I got it done, and its a heck of a lot cheaper now.

I had Lasik about 5-months ago. I have had no problems whatsoever and would recommend it to anyone. I had been nearly blind all of my life... it is amazing that I can actually see now when I dive!

kelphelper:
Hey all:

He said:

Deb

divinman:
Bought lasiks as a Christmas present three years ago for Joanne. <snipped>
She is ecstatic to this day at being able to SEE when she opens her eyes in the morning. Although, I probably looked better in the morning back then.

Terry

Very nice gift!! And yeah.... you probably did! ;-) Just kidding!

Not from SoCal, but I had it done to both eyes in the same appt (45 minutes in and out) about 8 or 9 years ago. Excellent vision the next day; 6 month check up the doctors couldn't find the scars. No problems at all - went out to dinner with friends about 6 hours after the procedure.

Loved it and it was a good choice for me.

... in December. Our surgeon has this huge OR with a wall of glass for spectators. There are monitors over each station so I was able to see each of her eyes get done in elaborate detail. If a parent can handle that, it must be OK!! And believe me... I was a VERY empathetic parent when our kids were young. I felt every little pain!

My greatest fear about LASIK or any other delicate operation is the risk of an earthquake while it's happening.

Back
Top Bottom