LASIK Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having your contacts out for several days has to do with making sure that there is no inflammation or trauma affecting your cornea is before the procedure.

is there really any danger of that when you wear daily disposables?

The reduction in oxygen reaching your cornea through the lens can cause the cornea to swell even with daily disposable lenses. RGP lenses should be left out even longer.
LLoyd

I'm going on 6 years with Lasik. I had a doctor who teaches it at Mass Eye & Ear, and who has also had it done on himself (I liked the fact that he eats his own dog food). I also had the "spatula" peelback for a re-correction on one eye about 8 months after the initial surgery. He said it takes about a year to reseat. Of course, by now there's thousands more patients to feed long-term studies, so new information is continuing to appear.

I had a longer recovery period (9-12 months) before the morning dryness disappeared. The halo's and starbursts have also diminished over time, but I have large pupils and still have a bit of vision degradation, especially around dusk when ambient light is declining, and at night. I've actually got a pair of rediculously weak glasses which remain in the car for night driving, but I seem to get by fine without them on business trips.

I have one eye that is perfect and one that is just slightly off. My doctor has the same, and he recommended that I consider keeping it that way, as the brain will compensate for it, and it helps delay the inevitable need for reading glasses. I only notice it at night. I can still read without glasses or arm stretching, but I can't hold my cellphone too close or I can't see the tiny letters on the number keys.

Another reason for no contacts prior to surgery is cleanliness. They had me using a disinfectant drop for a week before the surgery to reduce the chance of infection.

For someone who wore contacts for 20 years, it's been a liberating experience. I'll never forget opening my eyes after my post-op nap and seeing all the individual blades of grass on the front lawn instead of a blur of green!

Chickdiver, et al:

Thank you for being so up-front about your results. I have been contemplating getting the procedure done, but because of job requirements have been extremely cautious about it. Please let us know more about your diving results as you go along.:)

Actually I asked my doctor about the no contact rule. He said that basically the surgery corrects your eye because it isn't shaped perfectly. The contacts actually mold your eyes to a slightly different shape than they would nomally be without the contacts. It is very important not to wear contacts before surgery.

Just as a matter of interest what was your (open to anyone) prescription BEFORE the LASIK treatment. I ask because I, too, am considering LASIK. I am very near sighted (minus 7 in UK speak - sorry dont know the US equivalent)

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been thinking about having this done for a while but was concerned. It's good to know that if I do have it done that I will still be able to dive.

Kirky,
As long as your corneas have normal thickness, you should be in the power range for the surgery. We use -7 here in the US also. It is universal.
Lloyd

Man, glad I found this old thread! i have astigmatism and Im nery happy to hear other divers chime in on this.

Back
Top Bottom