LASIK Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver once bubbled...
The flap not only readheres, but in 3 months the incision has completely healed. After about 6 weeks, they actually have to recut the flap to do any follow up procedures.

... I'm well acquainted with the different procedures, as I was a business manager with one of the suppliers of the bandage lenses so I guess my suggestion of prudence is clarified by your comment above. I'm sure you're anxious to get wet again but why not wait the 3 months till the organ has completely healed before going deep? This is why to other divers, I would suggest the procedure during the "off-season".

At the least, I would urge you to be very sensitive to any mask squeeze...Dive safe.

Tinman-
Thanks for your concern.

Oh- btw- there is no "off season" :D

Congrats Heather! I'm glad it's working out so well for you. I had the procedure done 3 years ago and I've had ZERO problems. Regarding the recovery process, I'm amazed at how quickly you're eyes are feeling good already. I felt dryness for a few months, which is fairly typical. Just in case that becomes a factor for you, I recommend carrying the lubricating drops with you all the time for a while. I'm sure your doctor mentioned this, but keeping the eyes well lubed helps ensure that the flaps to heal properly and quickly.

A side story: When I arrived at the clinic for my surgery, there were about 15 other people waiting for the same thing - so it was like a "Cattle Boat" LASIK clinic :wink:. They gave me 2 Valium and said wait for a nurse to get you. Well, the nurse eventually brought me to the operating room, and after some time, the doctor showed up. After taking a look at my chart, he said, "well Mr. Chambers, your chart looks good, we'll get you as close to 20/20 as possible."

The only problem: My last name is NOT Chambers! :D He was looking at the wrong chart, and thank goodness we caught the error.

I can laugh about it now, but even with the Valium, I felt a little frazzled! By the way, in spite of the numbing drops, the microkeratome did hurt a little.

My current vision is 20/20 in my left eye, and 20/15 in the right.

Congrats again, and enjoy life without contacts! :D

GearHead-

I have been accused of being a freak of nature before! :wink: Apparently my idea of discomfort is different from most people (hey- a couple of months ago I drove home- 12 hours- from Key West, with a broken arm, but I didn't know it was broken at the time.....) Go figure..... :wacko:

chickdiver once bubbled...
GearHead-

I have been accused of being a freak of nature before! :wink: Apparently my idea of discomfort is different from most people (hey- a couple of months ago I drove home- 12 hours- from Key West, with a broken arm, but I didn't know it was broken at the time.....) Go figure..... :wacko:

Ya know what, I'm not suprised one bit! :D

Put me down as another successful Lasik patient. Had it done approximately 3 years ago... zero problems... have done many, many deep trimix dives and several "Weanie" deco dives since that time and no nasty episodes to recount...

Congrats Chickdiver and very nice avitar... friendly an' all

Take care and be patient... let those things heal

DD

I would urge caution with the strenght of the flap adherance. I have seen flaps disloged years later from trauma such as air bags, fights, etc. The flap never adhers totally. At the clinic which I teach at, we see the patients with unsuccessful LASIK procedures from other Drs.
Lloyd

Chickdiver - glad to hear the LASIX went well. Any problems with halo effects or stars? How bad was your script to start? How weird is it not to reach for glasses or contacts?

I keep hoping technology improves quickly so my really bad script, thick corneas & large pupils can get it done & I can throw away the glasses & contacts....

Lloyd - any idea of the incidence rate of flap adherence problems?
Why doesn't the flap totally reattach? I'm guessing it is the nature of corneal tissue?

Jersey

Congrats on having it done, best money you'll ever spend. That said I had it done 2 yrs ago (went from 20/200 to 20/10) and have had zero problems with any of the sports I enjoy. I actually hit the water while skiing @ 36mph with my eyes open 9 days after the surgery with no ill effects. Since I've had it done I've talked my brother and 3 friends into it, one of which is a diver. :mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom