LASIK Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do have some halo effect, but I was told to expect that (light blue eyes and large (8mm) pupils). However, since I have had an astigmatism my entire life, it;s actually less halo than what I saw before and it doesnt bother me at all! My vision wasnt that bad- 20/25 to begin with. Things are still doing great!

ScubaDoc,
I would like to point out an error in your posting br Dr. Butler. As far as we know, the corneal flap never regains full strenghth. An artical in the April 2003 issue of Ophthamology shows that the flap can be manually lifted for enhancements 3 years post surgery. The May/June 2000 issue of Journal of Refractive Surgery has a case of a flap being lifted by an airbag 17 months post surgery. The Jan. 2003 issue of Cornea has a case of a displaced flap 26 months post surgery. Studies with RK show that the cornea never regains full strength. Lasik patients need to be aware of this and take appropriate measures to protect their eyes from possble trauma.
Lloyd

ScubaDoc,
I agree with everything but the following:

It is doubtful that any studies have been completed on the strength of the partial corneal incision that is done with the LASIK procedure, but should be somewhat similar to the partial incisions of radial keratotomy. Full

This gives the impression that full corneal strength is regained in 3 to 6 months. Corneal incisions never regain full strength. And Lasik flaps are still fairly lose at 3 to 6 months.

That was my only disagreement. I have never heard of any injuries from diving. Fights and airbags yes.
Lloyd

Hi everyone, I am yet another one of those who had this done two years ago on the 15th of March. My doctors suggested 6 weeks, and me being the cautious sort waited 8, but if I had to do it over again I would have no hesitation. I wore glasses from 2nd grade, and last time I looked at them my coke bottles never made it out of my home (I only exaggerated slightly here). Given the risks associated with this surgery, and the fact that the original company I had my surgery with went out of business in the states, then the follow-up company I was assigned to in Portland closed three days before my final appointment, I am very pleased to have 20/20 in both eyes and a very minimal halo effect at night, the worse part is probably oncoming cars at night. But to wake up and not to reach for the glasses is priceless. In Seattle we have several well renowned Eye Doctors (Pacific Northwest Cataract) to choose from with varying fees. Do your research before you select a doctor.

Travis

Hah! The clinic (in Canada) that did my LASIK surgery went belly-up too, about a year after I had it done. I can only assume that someone sued them out of business. Apparently not all of their clients were as happy as I am.

Is there a smiley for counting one's blessings?

I've had this procedure twice and as such will explain what I know about the flap and healing process. There should't be any direct moisture applied (except for sterile drops) for at least a week. This includes getting your eyes wet in the shower. I believe this to be an infection issue more than the flap itself but if the tissue is that fragile I wouldn't even consider diving. Remember that even though this is a very short outpatient surgery it still involves an incision. I had the procedure twice in one eye because the results after the first surgery were unsatisfactory. The first time the incision was made by a very small and extremely sharp, thin blade. The second time, which was a bit over six months after the first time, the flap was reopened by what could best be described as a small spatula. No knife! My doctor said that until the flap FULLY heals, they manipulate it to reopen in about the same way as you would open an envelope. The spatula tool pops open an edge and then they kind of pry it open. Apparently it wouldn't be possible to cut again at the original cut line anyway. I was told that it could well take in excess of 18 months for the incision to heal completely. By this I assume it could only be reopned by cutting and would presumably be invisible to the doctor. Both times I quit diving for as month on the doctor's recommendation. I did exceed 120' about 4 months after the second procedure with no ill effect. Overall, inspite of having to have one eye redone I highly recommend the surgery as the final results for me fantastic.

Went diving this past weekend- 2 trimix dives. No ill effects at all. Very pleased with my results, I was 20/20 at my last recheck (last Thurs.).

I had the procedure done a year ago now.
My doctor is also a diver and he said wait a min. of 6 weeks.
As Loyd said already - my doctor said the flap never completely re-attaches. The reason, if I recall correctly, is that there is no blood flow to this part of your eye therefor no bleeding and no complete healing. I may be wrong about this detail though.
Anyway, being that I'm over 40 I had the fairly new procedure of monovision where they correct one eye for reading and one eye for distance.
A year later (keep in mind I had very severe/over the top astigmatism) my vision is better than it was with glasses (I could'nt wear contacts). There has been some re-growth and so I use reading glasses now for fine print. I can read a book without them in high light situations.
I think Lasik is a miracle and an answer to my prayers since I was a young woman. I'm so happy not wearing glasses.
I would highly recommend it and do it again in an instant!!!
The one recommendation I would make is to ask around and go with a very experienced clinic even if it costs a little more. Sometimes you luck out but for the most part you get what you pay for.
Barb
:)

I have to second what Barb said. My wife and I both had LASIK done almost 3 years ago now. Both of us are instructors and have had NO problems. Our doc was a corneal surgon as well and used an auto tracking Ladar machine. We were told to stay out of the water a month. I too was near sighted and am now 20/15 in my dominate eye and about 20/25-30 in my off eye which was done intentially to ofset prespiopia (I'm way over 40) and I too can read in good light without reading glasses. Interestingly my wife was farsighted and hers was the first LASIK done by our doc for far sightedness ritht after it was approved by the FDA. Our doc was part of the group that did the FDA approval study. If you are like us it could be a life changing experience.

for those who have done it, why does the website I went to say that you have to have your contacts out for 3-5 days before the consultation? I can't live for 3 days without them! Is this site full of crap? what were you told?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom