LASIK Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins:
FWIW I had lasik done 5 1/2 years ago. Before the surgery my vision with about 20/2000 ....
Yowsa, i've never heard one that bad! :11:

fins:
All in all my lasik experience was nothing short of life changing.
Same for me. I had mine done about 2.5 years ago and i wouldn't trade it for anything. I lost some night vision and some near vision but the trade off for 20/20 far vision with no fricken glasses or contacts was/is priceless for me.

Some of the best money i've ever spent.

You know I usually consider myself to be a tough guy medical wise but I'll tell ya I never thought the word "flap" could be so intiminating!!! Man, I'm squirming in my chair now.

Add me to the list of successful Lasik people. I had it done this spring, and the doctors told me I could dive in two weeks.

I took my new nearly 20/15 vision to Cozumel, a place I knew pretty well from past dives. Although I had always used my contacts before, I could not help but feel as if I were seeing a whole new world down there. The coral seemed to be sharper and more colorful. I felt the difference there more than I had anywhere on land.

I have a friend who went from 20/800 and 20/1,000 to 20/25. She was understandably pleased.

I have also seen the statistics on people whose eyes came out worse than before the surgery--there almost aren't any. It's pretty close to a sure thing if you are accepted after the screening process.

One more indorsement for the procedure. After the procedure I refrained from diving for two months. My doc indicated 4 weeks, but, what the heck they are my eyes.
Over 150 dives later, no problems. I have perfect vision upon returning to the boat. No more contacts or prescription masks.

I'm 21.. and have had horrible vision since I was in Kindergarten. If I take off my glasses, I can't see well enough to be functional in any aspect of life.

My eye docs have all said that Lasik would be an excellent option for me, but there's one part that I can't get over...

I'm absoutley terrified of having someone screwing with... cutting... my eye in any way. I don't care how professionally, or medically sound it is... it creeps me out really bad.

I read this thread, and just reading about it is making me sick to my stomach.

Anyone else have similar feelings? Have any of you had Lasik? How did it go? I'd be worried about being so stressed out that I made it difficult for the doctor to do his work.

-B

fairbanksdiver:
I'm 21.. and have had horrible vision since I was in Kindergarten. If I take off my glasses, I can't see well enough to be functional in any aspect of life.

My eye docs have all said that Lasik would be an excellent option for me, but there's one part that I can't get over...
Gee, 21's pretty dang young. It's likely your eye prescription still isn't stable. And if not stable, Lasik's not a good option. I've been getting annual checkups for years, and patiently waiting until I have a solid track record where the prescription appears to be static. I'd check with your eye doctors again, and bring this up.

I've had the same prescription for the last 6 years. My vision degraded rapidly from Kindergarten to about my freshman year of high school. It's been stable since then.

Lasik wasn't suggested until a year or two ago (I've seen the same doc for ages), when it became evident that my vision was no longer getting worse.

-B

fairbanksdiver:
Anyone else have similar feelings? Have any of you had Lasik? How did it go? I'd be worried about being so stressed out that I made it difficult for the doctor to do his work.

I think there is some history of others being freaked out, although I did not have a single qualm myself. I base my guess about others on the fact that I was offered valium immediately. Although I was not exactly taking notes, I would guess that about half the people who came in after me but while I was still waiting to go accepted the offer.

I had what's called custom cornea, which I guess is the latest in high tech methods. The process was so much like a science fiction movie that I ended up focusing my mind on that, which distracted me from everything else. (There is a computerized voice doing play-by-play on the surgery. "Process 36% completed; 43 seconds remaining.") The whole thing only takes about a minute per eye, so you really don't have much time to freak out.

The company I used is supposed to publicize their failure rate, but they say they can't get an accurate figure because they haven't had one with this procedure yet.

I was minus 6 in one eye and minus 7+ in the other with astigmatism. I was nervous about the surgery since I went on the internet and read about every surgery that ever went bad. That will scare you!

Anyway, I got it done, it was no big deal, went to work all day the next day with no problems. I am 2 months post op now and have 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. If it doesn't improve I may get it retouched in a month or so. Overall I am very happy and would be happy even if we don't retouch that one eye.

I recently had my annual eye exam 5 years post lasik. I've got a very slight 1 click touch of astigmatism back. I'm now only around 20/20, not 20/15 anymore.

Doctor also said she cannot see any scar or flap edge. Nothing in either eye. But she also said it's rather unusual for them to heal that well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom