Laser Hair Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations for taking the plunge! You're never going to regret doing it!! :D

Did they tell you about the hair shedding out and how it'll seem like the laser didn't do anything? The first treatment is the worst for this, but rest assured that although you might shave after the treatment, the hair is actually detatched at the root and is falling out, not growing. After the second and third treatments you won't notice this as much because you have far less hair, but don't freak out worrying that it didn't work. :wink:

This reminds me. A friend of mine - a man - was planning on having his back done. I must find out how that's going.

kelpmermaid:
This reminds me. A friend of mine - a man - was planning on having his back done. I must find out how that's going.

If it is a lot of back hair, hopefully very well! :D

DiveMe:
Congratulations for taking the plunge! You're never going to regret doing it!! :D

Did they tell you about the hair shedding out and how it'll seem like the laser didn't do anything? The first treatment is the worst for this, but rest assured that although you might shave after the treatment, the hair is actually detatched at the root and is falling out, not growing. After the second and third treatments you won't notice this as much because you have far less hair, but don't freak out worrying that it didn't work. :wink:

They did tell me this but it doesn't make me feel any better right now as I am still waiting for the "shed"...

The shed seems like the hair is growing super fast. After my first leg treatment, I've shaved quite a few times, and everytime I have a "5 o'clock" shadow on my legs by that same evening. After shaving about 5x in the past 10 days, there are considerably fewer hairs coming up and the difference is noticeable.

The important thing to note is that the hair isn't growing, it's detatched and working it's way out of your skin, which is why it moves faster than normal growth.

Diveme, that sounds like WAY too much hair. I had my 3rd treatment on my legs one month ago, and I have never shaved once. I have about 7 or 8 tiny fine hairs - total. That's it - in a whole month. After my first treatment, I only shaved for my next treatment. I had very little hair growing back right away - totally unnoticeable except up close. So in 4 months, I have shaved only twice - but you would never know it. All my lasered areas feel baby smooth and look freshly shaved.

With my underarms and bikini, I only shaved a few times. However, I had a technician at the beginning who was overly concerned about burning me, and I felt nothing. As soon as I changed technicians, I had amazing results.

Concerning shedding, I have only seen it once - after my first underarm treatment. I have never seen it again - there is simply almost no hair to see.

Trust me, you should see definite results with ONE treatment. If you don't, you need to check on the quality and settings of the laser. If you can't feel anything or feel little discomfort, you will get little results. At that rate, it is unlikely that you will complete your hair removal in 8 - 10 treatments. They'd better give you free extra treatments or you'll wind up having to pay for extra treatments to get results.

Ayisha:
Trust me, you should see definite results with ONE treatment. If you don't, you need to check on the quality and settings of the laser. If you can't feel anything or feel little discomfort, you will get little results. At that rate, it is unlikely that you will complete your hair removal in 8 - 10 treatments. They'd better give you free extra treatments or you'll wind up having to pay for extra treatments to get results.

Oh, I'm seeing results!! I haven't had to shave my legs now in 4 days and I can feel maybe 2 stubbles on my entire leg. :) I seem to have a lot of shedding with my first laser treatments (whether it be bikini line, underarms, or now legs), and after that is done, I see nearly no hair growth at all. With my underarms, I shaved once between treatments 2 and 3, and haven't shaved my bikini line since treatment 3 (treatment 5 is in 2 weeks). :D

Believe me, after my first bikini line treatment I about freaked that the hair seemed to be growing faster, but remembered the caution by the laser tech and sat tight. By the end of week 2 after the treatment, there was zero hair. She told me that some people shed a lot and others don't seem to, so although I'm lucky with my outstanding results, I'm one of the unlucky in that I shed a lot. :07:

Also, with the package I bought for my legs, I have a 3 year guarantee on the results, so although my basic package is for 5 treatments, I can go back as much as I need to for 3 years to get rid of every last hair. If my legs respond as well as my bikini line and underarms, I'll be shocked if I have to go back after the 5th treatment, but only time will tell.

So, if you don't mind, what did you all end up paying for the treatment?

DiveMe:
I haven't had to shave my legs now in 4 days...

I must say that it was not clear to me that you were talking about the first treatment in your previous post. I thought you were still shaving all the areas. Although it still seems excessive to me, even for the first treatment. But you say that after a few treatments, you no longer had to shave other areas, so that's good.

Two of my friends got similar areas done and go to the same clinic as me and have gotten nearly identical results. One had a lot of shedding like you after the first treatment, and had amazing results. The other 2 of us had little or no shedding, and also had amazing results.

The true test is to see if the areas remain bare over the next year or two. As you know, hair grows in phases, so it is not all through the surface at the same time. When you haven't had a laser treatment for a year or two, and you have little or no hair, then you'll know it's worked. It's good that yours is guaranteed for 3 years. I got mine as a half-price special, so it's not guaranteed, and extra treatments are 10% of the cost. I haven't had to pay for any extra treatments, so it's worked out well. I might get a couple of touch-ups for those last few hairs, but I really don't need to.

hnladue, the prices aren't always set precisely. They may do it based on the amount and type of hair you have.

My costs for 8 treatments were $500 Cdn for the underarms; $800 Cdn for the brazilian; and $1200 Cdn for the lower legs including above the knee. When I do the upper legs, I've been quoted another $300 Cdn. All of this is their "half price". When I started 1 1/2 years ago, this was way cheaper than most, but competition is forcing the prices lower now.

It sounds expensive, but compared to waxing for the last 16 years and the next ?, as well as the convenience, it's worth it!

Ayisha:
The true test is to see if the areas remain bare over the next year or two. As you know, hair grows in phases, so it is not all through the surface at the same time. When you haven't had a laser treatment for a year or two, and you have little or no hair, then you'll know it's worked. It's good that yours is guaranteed for 3 years. I got mine as a half-price special, so it's not guaranteed, and extra treatments are 10% of the cost. I haven't had to pay for any extra treatments, so it's worked out well. I might get a couple of touch-ups for those last few hairs, but I really don't need to.

I only bought the guarantee for my lower legs. I don't have a lot of body hair on my bikini line nor underarms naturally, so I figured that even if I have to shave 6 hairs, once a month, I'll be happy. Also, for the price of the guarantee, I can go back and pay for 3 extra treatments and still break even.

What is the interval in which they are doing your treatments? My bikini and underarms is on a 6 week interval, but my legs are on a 10 week interval. I have a friend who has her underarms and bikini line on a 4 week interval and was told legs would be every 6 weeks. I'm wondering if that's why she's on her 8th treatment for her bikini line and underarms and still has hair growth....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom