Larger, Wider, More Open Jaw Mouthpiece Needed - any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cadmus

Registered
Reaction score
I’m at wits end here, thanks in advance for the help.

I am in need of larger & wider mouthpieces for both snorkels and regulators. Preferably ones that hold the mouth in a more natural half open position to avoid breathing through my teeth which will allow me to give a strong snorkel clearing puff without biting to keep the thing in. I am not a huge guy: 6’ 1” but I have a big mouth and as my wife will attest to it often gets me in trouble (ha ha ha).

These are the 2 most commonly encouraged large mouthpieces on this and other web forums:
Trident Comfort Bite Mouthpiece - Trident Comfort Bite Silicone Regulator Mouthpiece
and
Aqua Lung Comfo Bite Large Mouthpiece - Aqua Lung Comfo Bite Large Mouthpiece at Diver's Direct
I purchased the Aqua Lung Comfo Bite but the local dive shop had only regular not large. Fits ok, being only slightly small. The bridge does not impede air flow much and grabs the maxilary teeth such that it will slightly reduce the catch 22 I am experiencing: must bite or I will blow the mouthpiece out of my mouth, but biting forces me to breath through my teeth so I must loosen the bite, repeat. Sadly the Comfo-bite is loose on my snorkel and will likely be loose on most regulators. Fixed by a zip tie but unfortunate and unsafe if the ziptie breaks (they often break in cold water, i am often in cold water). But it lacks the material in the cheeks and the gums that I miss in my old snorkles (see below).

Some recommend moldable mouthpieces but these start off in the same, mouth closed shape of standard mouthpieces and then become more mouth closed. If I am wrong please link me to a better brand than those I have seen.

Long bite mouth pieces are also recommended ont his and other forums but what I want is wider, not longer. It is likely the next thing I will try if no one has suggestions.

I had older snorkels with nice big mouth pieces, that let my jaw stay relaxed in a half open position, that allow a strong clearing blow to not be delivered through my teeth, that does not require a bite to stay in. None had a bridge but they did have a sizable oval around the unit that filled the vestibule (area between the lip and the gums) of the mouth on the top bottom and checks. Not unlike what is described as the “Tooth-Covering Mouthpiece “ on this website: Illustrated Guide to Regulator Mouthpieces for Scuba Diving Wow, that is the first time ABOUT.com has information worth linking to.
If there is a term for this structure on a mouth piece please let me know.
The Scubapro super comfort mouth piece is slightly closer to having that structure Scubapro Supercomfort Mouthpiece | Simply Scuba UK but it is not available in the USA and EU website have told me they will not ship it.

If anyone can recommend a mouth piece with some of these qualities please let me know.
-Wider or larger
-Hold the moth in a more open positions so I do not have to breathe through my teeth
-Teeth covering structure (fills cheeks and space between gums and teeth)

-or something i have not thought of that will help fill my big mouth

Try extending your bite slightly past the mouthpiece flanges and up onto the barrel of the snorkel or regulator itself. This will open up your mouth & breathing ventilations better and you won't have the turbulent effect of inspiration/expiration through clenched teeth as you would when biting down on the mouthpiece flanges/nipples.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom