Lap Swim Training Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aren’t some of the listed fins, including the split fins, poor fins for the frog kick fin, in performance and feel? If I’m wrong, please tell me why.

My training performance preference would be the frog kick over the flutter, as about 75% of my typical training time is with the frog kick/breath stroke.

My Atomic splits are very stiff. I do a mile at a time in the pool, which is almost all flutter. If I’m practicing frog, I’ll switch to my Deep6 Eddy fins I actually dive with.

There are specialized fins for the breaststroke kick, but they look very different than any scuba fin with a side scoop on the bottom. With the zoomers and any other short swim fin, I can feel a definite increase in push and glide when I rotate the soles of my feet together in the kick portion. Because the fins are much less propulsive than longer fins, I can get more kicks in per length, but they are propulsive enough that I can definitely notice a difference if my technique is off.

Aren’t some of the listed fins, including the split fins, poor fins for the frog kick fin, in performance and feel? If I’m wrong, please tell me why.

My training performance preference would be the frog kick over the flutter, as about 75% of my typical training time is with the frog kick/breath stroke.

Every once in while I turn on my back, head on kickboard, and do a lap or two of modified frog. For backpedalling I have to push the board under my *ss because otherwise I can't keep in trim, but once you get the hand of it, it's easy enough to practice. For breaststroke proper all regular fins are bad, as @Jcp2 said, though finis "positive drive" are supposed to be less bad than others. But if you're really after breaststroke, you'll want the speedo breaststroke specials.

Yellow zoomers are stiff and heavy (for their size), I believe burners are lighter and have softer foot pocket. I use zoomers but if and when they fall apart I might consider burners for more comfortable fit. I never tried your speedos so no idea how they compare.

Back
Top Bottom