Lap Swim Training Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After getting back into diving, I’ve been doing pool lap swims for the past year to improve my finning technique, efficiency, endurance and strength (for both flutter and frog kick). A year ago after a little research, I selected the SwitchBlade fin by Speedo and have been using it ever sense.

upload_2019-8-23_0-34-35.jpeg

This rubber fin is not extremely fast, but as one might expect, it works for both frog and flutter. I’m on my second set of these fins which I use for 100% of my lap swimming time, 3 to 4 times per week. After 6 to 7 months my present fins have started to split on me again, so I’m in the market for a new lap swim fin...... either this fin again or maybe one might suggest!!

Does anyone have a favorite swim fin they would recommend for use in scuba diving pool workouts?

Thanks in advance of any and all comments and/or recommendations!

I also have a pair of short-bladed Speedo Switchblade training fins, which I had to order from the USA because they were unavailable in the UK, where I live. I recommended them last September when I contributed to another SB thread entitled "Swimming fins" at https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8423863/. The other model I suggested in my message was Scubapro's longer-bladed rubber full-foot fin, which is a very comfortable snorkelling-style fin providing good propulsion with a range of sizes up to 15:
rubberfffin_copy-jpg.482264.jpg

If you want to stick to shorter-bladed pool fins, I've found Madwave short-bladed fins here in the UK comfortable and efficient. The same design is available States-side as TYR Burner fins:
lfbp_group_6.jpg

Some years ago when I was active as a professional diving witness I was approached by a representative from a company who manufactured a lap training fin called Zummers, about a patent infringement .

The fin was nothing more than a full foot fin, which in a casual appearance was a Cressi Rondine, or any full foot fine cut off the toes- but they thought they had something very unique - very special .

The attorneys fought it out therefore I was never called - nor did I follow up on the results...

Now after the ;passage of all these years ...Lap fins galore!
sdm

@Marie13 CE

I simply use my splits that I used to use for diving.

Why spend more on fins when you’ve already got ones that work?

And if you want to work on your diving kick, wouldn’t it make more sense to actually use diving fins?

Interesting... I use the local springs as my lap pool, and usually use nothing or my Mako free-diving fins. I truly feel my kick does little to propel me, but they do keep my legs up and in trim. Perhaps I need to find a short fin to add just a bit. It's great exercise for rehabbing my broken leg.

Some years ago when I was active as a professional diving witness I was approached by a representative from a company who manufactured a lap training fin called Zummers, about a patent infringement .

The fin was nothing more than a full foot fin, which in a casual appearance was a Cressi Rondine, or any full foot fine cut off the toes- but they thought they had something very unique - very special .

The attorneys fought it out therefore I was never called - nor did I follow up on the results...

Now after the ;passage of all these years ...Lap fins galore!
sdm

Here are Marty Hull's original 1990 US4948385 patent drawings for a "Training fin device for swimming", which was eventually manufactured and marketed with the brand name "Zoomers":
US4948385-1.png

They're still in production (see below):
61Ms86gKjRL._SL1200_.jpg

I use the Zoomers for my lap swimming. As already mentioned, they aren’t really super propulsive, but can be used as an aid for keeping in trim for geezer swimming with a slow narrow kick (what I use them for) or as an aid in developing leg endurance in competitive swimming with a fast narrow kick (what my kids used them for). I’ve also found them useful in getting the leg motion tuned for breast stroke kicks.

Aren’t some of the listed fins, including the split fins, poor fins for the frog kick fin, in performance and feel? If I’m wrong, please tell me why.

My training performance preference would be the frog kick over the flutter, as about 75% of my typical training time is with the frog kick/breath stroke.

Back
Top Bottom