Lanyard for Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other reason to carry a spare mask is for when you loose a lense (try clearing that mask).......I position the strap below the hood, works well.

I've seen a kit that replaces your mask strap, and attaches your mask to your hood, with a buckle on each side. It may flood, but it seems to me it would be impossible to have it knocked off.

With the buckles, if you want to take your mask off you can unbuckle one side and let it hang from the other (no mask-on-forehead ambiguity). Still secure, and not going to be washed away by an unexpected wave.

Since I've been considering getting a beanie, and always either wearing the beanie or my hood (sunburn protection for my bald skull), I've been considering adding the buckle kit to both, so I can switch my mask back and forth.

I know, failure points, yada yada, but with high-quality buckles, the convenience outweighs the remote chance of failure, in my mind. Weigh it for yourself.

I posted a question r.e. the kits a long time ago, and there were several responders who had 'em and liked 'em, but I can't make a recommendation. I will probably create my own with some nylon webbing and a couple of high-quality fastex buckles.

RoatanMan:
See anything else odd in the picture? (besides me?)

Did you make your own exhaust T? That thing is HUGE

As for the lanyard idea... I opt for the under the beanie/hood method in conjunction with a slapstrap. I also remove the quick adjustment clips from the mask and put the slapstrap velcro strap directly through the sides of the mask in an effort to remove as many points of failure as possible.

I had a pocket sewn onto the leg of my suit for my spare mask. Be redundant. Two regs, two fins, two forms of buoyancy, two masks.

RoatanMan:
See anything else odd in the picture? (besides me?)

What is the flat plastic looking thing on the right side of your face/regulator?

Bill

Lightning Fish:
What is the flat plastic looking thing on the right side of your face/regulator?Bill

It lets me creep up on the little critters without the exhaust noise and bubbles leading the way.

Just a simple piece of clear vinyl tubing (slid over the exhaust ports) from the hardware store. Ran a drill thru the tubing and the port, secured them with a cable tie. If you make them really long, you might have to trim them as long ones will initiate mild free-flows.

I can get up to the faceplate next to Garden Eels.

(Here's http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33155/cat/1212 another angle of the mask lanyard dealie)

Before I launch into my useless piece of advice, I do carry a mask in a mask bag on my left hip.

In anycase, I always hang on to my mask a second in the event of any close quarter contact or potential contact.

Rigt hand fist on second stage, fingers cover mask in face of wayward flipper or fin of other well meaning diver..

If above does not work, you are stupid for not covering yourself and you need your buddy SOON.

boogey

boogeywoogey:
Before I launch into my useless piece of advice, I do carry a mask in a mask bag on my left hip.

In anycase, I always hang on to my mask a second in the event of any close quarter contact or potential contact.

Rigt hand fist on second stage, fingers cover mask in face of wayward flipper or fin of other well meaning diver..

If above does not work, you are stupid for not covering yourself and you need your buddy SOON.

boogey

Sometimes your hands are full- one does not always have that option. You are either manipulating a mechanical object or possibly controlling another "diver".

And- unless you're wearing a Hydro-Optix (and even then) it is simply amazing what can 'sneak up on you' and bash your noggin. When I see it coming, I don't bother with my hand to the reg/mask, I just put my forearm up and brush the offending appendage gently away. Stop the problem before it hits you vs. just bracing for the hit.

The best reason to lanyard your mask was discovered earlier in this thread. Personally- I have never lost a mask while diving. Never even been kicked... all that hard, anyway. The best reason? When you don't want the mask at the surface, you just yank it up and off and toss it over your shoulder. It will be waiting for you when you want it back.

No more stupid arguments or redundant threads on SCUBABoard deciding once and for all if the mask-on-the-forehead is a signal for distress or just trying to look like Mike Nelson.

If I am carrying a second mask, it is in a bag on my left shoulder. I find myself too often (in PSD applications and certainly when exiting the water) too often rolling onto my hip, but if it works for you on the hip during your specific application, great!

I carry - as a spare- a USD mask only available in Canada (not the US anyway) that is a extremely low volume nose pocket free dive mask with wrap around plastic lenses. Odd distortions but thinner than a Flounder! It's called a Sphera, see http://www.aqua-scuba.com.au/products/sa.shr/dp_product_x/1/1/13/0/268

Once again, tailor your kit to be "mission specific". There is simply no reason, on every dive of your career, to carry every piece of gear that you own. Some dives? A great idea to carry a pony tank, or safety sausage, or three computers... or even a spare mask. Other dives? You're just dragging out all of your SCUBA junk. Fit the kit to the dive at hand.

There are very few dives when a mask lanyard would be a detriment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom