Lanyard for Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxHockeyGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have seen that many carry a spare mask in case they lose theirs at depth. This sounded like a good idea to me and I had planned on buying one but then noticed a post by RoatanMan in another thread where he says he attaches a lanyard to his mask. I know this wouldn't help with a mask strap breaking but I use a nylon soft strap so I think a strap breaking would be highly unlikely. I was thinking of just strapping it to one of my upper d-rings, anyone see anything flawed with this idea? Anyone dive this way?

--
TxHockeyGuy

That idea works on a couple of levels. First if your mask gets knocked off, it's easy to find in front of you, second, you can take it off at the surface w/o worrying about losing it - or signaling a PADI dm that you have a problem - see the mask on forehead thread elsewhere. Also if the lanyard is fairly short back on the boat it keeps it from getting misplaced/stepped on.

Clip the lanyard to a d-ring on the non-reg hose side and I can't see a downside.

I just might have to try it....

TxHockeyGuy:
I have seen that many carry a spare mask in case they lose theirs at depth. This sounded like a good idea to me and I had planned on buying one but then noticed a post by RoatanMan in another thread where he says he attaches a lanyard to his mask. I know this wouldn't help with a mask strap breaking but I use a nylon soft strap so I think a strap breaking would be highly unlikely. I was thinking of just strapping it to one of my upper d-rings, anyone see anything flawed with this idea? Anyone dive this way?

--
TxHockeyGuy

The lanyard would create a potential snag which could pull your mask off.

good time to practice mask clearing

dkktsunami:

I will certainly have this concern................

dkktsunami:
That was my first thought too. If you're worried about losing your mask, put it under your hood ( if you wear one)
C-Dawg

liberato:
How about having the lanyard be shock cord? Anyway, it is not like you are going to lose your lanyarded mask even if it gets knocked off.

How about looking at the picture that started this thread? See my "profile pic".

Also hanging from cord is my octopus when I am using one. (think about it)

And, no, it has never snagged and pulled off. I do agree however, that it's mere presence makes that a possibility.

You have to always analyze the "type" of diving one is doing and tailor your "kit" accordingly. If I were venturing into a truly "snag-adelic" environment, I would wear the lanyard differently.

For casual dives looking at the pretty fish, I put it all into a bit of perspective.

I also own 6 titanium tools including one hammer and a wrench. They don't come on every dive either.

This trick was learned from those obviously boneheaded divers that jumped from hopticopters to secure the Mercury capsules. Since then, we haven't learned a whole lot of new stuff, but we have learned to employ the simple and the obvious... every so often.

See anything else odd in the picture? (besides me?)

After loosing a couple of masks during rough beach entries, I now have a lanyard attached to my mask for beach dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom