Land based travel clothing, shoes, accessories recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A spool and a double ender is a super cheap way to make a clothes line, and cheaper than the fancy "outdoors" ones.

Take a look at some of the cottage industry manufacturers as well. You'll often get better designed/suited gear than the stuff that REI/etc. carries, for a lower price.

I'm a fan of Salomon shoes, but have friends that equally like Merrell's, Keen's, and others. I just find the Salomons fit my feet better than the others.

@outofofficebrb this is all great info! Thanks!! I'm going to copy a bunch of it and send it to the folks we'll be traveling with. I bought a light rain jacket at Merrell and am already using it as a layer to keep in the heat when we walk daily (oddly, it's already been in the 40's and my body wasn't ready for it - it was 85 last week!). I've been a fan of wool socks for years. When my feet sweat in cotton socks they get chilled and cold feet are miserable. I got a wool t-shirt a couple of years ago and loved it - might look for more of those (in long sleeves too). I just picked up a packable down jacket for layering too.

So if I wear Merrell walking shoes will I look like an American geek? Are jeans really not acceptable? I wear jeans every day. I'm a therapist and I wear them to work too (with nice shoes and blouses/sweaters). I've got a couple of Columbia lightweight pants, but I really love my jeans that have the stretchiness to them - so comfy.

Regarding meds: can I put my meds in my weekly pill minder if I have a list of meds from my doctor or do I HAVE to keep them in their original bottles? I've thought about getting my meds at CVS in those daily pouches. Just wondering how stringent the rules are.

Again, thanks to everyone!!

@outofofficebrb
Regarding meds: can I put my meds in my weekly pill minder if I have a list of meds from my doctor or do I HAVE to keep them in their original bottles? I've thought about getting my meds at CVS in those daily pouches. Just wondering how stringent the rules are.

I don't know anything about Europe, but when I go to Mexico or CA I may not have all my meds in their original bottles, but I bring the bottle with me to show I have a prescription. I suppose I could get prescription in Mexico if I show that I have one in the USA but I've never tried it. You may want to do a search and see if there are any drugs that are not allowed in the countries that you will be visiting. For example, Sudafed is illegal in Mexico and you cannot bring it with you from home.

Europe and North Africa you can wear exactly what you would back home in the US. No need to worry about that at all. You won’t be able to hide your USA heritage, they will all be able to spot it at 100 yards, whatever you do. So just be comfortable and be yourselves. In Spain and Portugal you will be able to buy anything you need and the variety will be exactly the same as you are used to back hone. Morocco, although Africa, and a majority Muslim country, is not particularly conservative and has been awash with tourists for decades. The cities are fast and dynamic and the people are good, friendly, and helpful.

I've done a couple months in Scotland & NZ, and managed to get all my clothes into my carryon with packing cubes. The clothes I pack can be mixed different ways to get multiple outfits with fewer pieces. I usually have to wear my coat/scarf, and heaviest shoes onto the plane :)

My go-to travel and hiking pants/shorts are Prana, made from stretch zion Stretch Zion Fabric for Women's Pants & Shorts | prAna
Even the 'skinny' pants are so stretchy I can boulder scramble or pretzel myself into an airplane seat. The fabric is light and stretchy, and dries incredibly fast. I have a bunch of the skinny leg styles (Meme and Brianna), that can be dressed up a bit for in town.

I second @outofofficebrb about the wool tops! The super light merino wool stuff is great, and stinkproof :D I love Icebreaker, which is painfully expensive, but I look for clearance & at REI Garage sales. For undies, I found any of the light synthetic stuff dries fast, so no cotton. Bras are the biggest pain. If I'm sweating during the day, they need daily wash, but the lining doesn't dry overnite. The quickest drying are the least supportive and may not be lined/padded. I use merino wool bras with cup inserts if I'm going to be sweating and pack at least one 'real' bra for other times.

Dr Bronner's is a great all-purpose soap/laundry wash. I use a big ziplock bag to wash stuff, give it a few shakes, let them soak a few minutes, and rinse! Most toiletries I buy when I get there, so I don't have to haul them & get through TSA

I travel with a ton of medicines, including pain meds, so I'm very cautious about the laws. I have a letter from my doctor approving my rx and the dosage, keep them in pharmacy-labeled bottles, and travel with them in my purse or carryon bag (never checked luggage). The drugstore can give you smaller labeled bottles with your rx on it. I keep all meds together in a clear ziplock, but I've never had customs look or ask me about them. I transfer what I need for the day into a pill box.

In case my passport and driver's license get lost or stolen, I have photocopies of them, and keep them seperate from the originals. I also have pictures of these (and any other imp docs, like med insurance) uploaded to a cloud drive I can access. I depend on Google Gmail & Drive, and have had the overlord burp and randomly lock me out, so I print & carry Google backup codes to get back into my account.

And Global Entry is worth it! There are connections I would have never made, without the fast pass :/

Enjoy!

Ex-officio underwear is fab. I get mine from REI. Working and very comfortable. They’re actually what I wear under my drysuit! Dry very quickly.

@outofofficebrb
So if I wear Merrell walking shoes will I look like an American geek? Are jeans really not acceptable? I wear jeans every day. I'm a therapist and I wear them to work too (with nice shoes and blouses/sweaters). I've got a couple of Columbia lightweight pants, but I really love my jeans that have the stretchiness to them - so comfy.

Honestly, wear whatever footwear makes you the most comfortable. I really don't notice people's shoes unless I think they are very inappropriate for where/what we're doing or if someone is wearing socks with sandals or white crew tube socks with sneakers and shorts. :wink: I was just in the desert in Egypt on rocky ground where someone showed up in wedges and block heels, a mini skirt and all. That's what grabs my attention! :D

Jeans will work but they are always so heavy to travel with and take forever to dry if you need to launder. If you love stretchiness, I second @msbovary 's recommendations on the Prana pants. I also have the Briann and it's great. It dries quickly if you need to launder and is stretchy. They look like lifestyle/street pants but are super comfortable and they don't look travel or hike at all. If you don't like skinnies, they have other silhouettes using the same stretch zion fabric. Mr. OOO has their Brion and their Stretch Zions and he also loves it. Prana has their fits pretty dialed in and I also like their shorts. Kuhl is another brand that you can look at; they are very known for their bottoms as well.

If you like light fabric but don't like the weave on that pant, you might also like the Saturday Trail collection from Columbia. It's even lighter weight and stretchy, and dries faster, though it is more of a traditional travel/hike look. The Saturday Trail Pant in black looks dressier and more sleek. The convertible version is definitely very hike/camp looking. Very comfortable and all the options mentioned above come in lengths and in numerical sizing. For the most part, they are pretty true to size but I would say Prana runs a little bit larger so I am a size down from my usual sizing with them.

I keep all my meds in the original blister pack or container. I have had the unpleasant experience of having every single bottle/blister packet/box taken out and individually inspected along with all of my other gear. (Thanks, Jordan......I have a new found appreciation for TSA.)

Eye masks and earplugs go a long way...as does solid noise cancelling earphones. It lets me sleep and relax in places where it would not have otherwise been possible due to light and/or sound. I don't know how tall you are but I am only 5'4" and more torso than legs..I bought a super lightweight adjustable foot sling to use on planes and it has eliminated all of my butt and back problems sitting in sardine class. It's only a few ounces to carry but it has changed my life on long haul plane rides. I use it to support my feet and it allows me to sit comfortably in shifted positions when I move from one butt cheek to the next (while sleeping comfortably) or I also use it to support my calves. I didn't think it would make such a big difference but it did.

I will come back if I think of anything else! Great post, I love it. Thanks for starting it!

619o3N0QnfL._SL1001_.jpg

Most Interesting!
As you see it (as far as you can have an opinion on that) would such a foot sling on planes mostly help "shorter" people with comfort or possibly also taller ones?
Source ?

Edit: i.e. like this:?
https://www.amazon.com/Airplane-Foo...ocphy=1016367&hvtargid=pla-464246738307&psc=1

Hello! I think it will mostly help shorter people but possibly taller people as well. My feet do touch the ground comfortably on planes when I am seated all the way back. Mr. OOO has longer legs than I do and is also a couple of inches taller than I am though not super tall by any means and he also finds that it really helps. Using it to support the feet directly would probably be most beneficial for shorter people. In my case, I love using it when I face the window in my window seat and sleep slightly on my left to take pressure off my tailbone and both but cheeks. I can adjust it to any height I want and curl up in my seat, essentially, while having the footrest support my feet/weightwithout having to kick or lean my feet against the seat in front of me to stay in that position.

I also really like putting it under my calves, right around or below the knee, and having it supported there. It doesn't look like it does very much, but it feels significant. You can lower and raise it depending on how much support or what angle you want it at. I don't know how else to explain it...it's great!

I've sat in economy seats with Singapore Airlines where they often have the retractable hard T-bar foot rests in regular economy (not premium economy) and I don't find it as comfortable as this sling because of all the height and angle adjustments I can provide myself with the sling. Don't get me wrong, those are better than nothing at all, but this sling has ch made economy more comfortable for me. I am usually on trans-pacific flights so I am using these for at least 9-10 hours at a time.

There are so many on Amazon that are similar so just pick one that has good reviews or looks best to you and go with it. :) Prices are also all over the place but most are quite similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Ohderii-Port...pID=41R-MAiecPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Sleepy-Ride-...pID=41UxeOrchtL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom