Lake Wallempapack (sp) Pocono's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgPaddle

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Anyone have any information on Lake Wallempapack. I'm probably not even close to the correct spelling, but it's located up in the Pocono's. Apparantly, when the damn was built, a whole town was flooded and not sits "x" amount of feet underwater. I hear it's cold water as it's fed by a natural spring.

Has anyone dove this lake and seen any of the sights that it has to offer. Sounds like a spot I may have to visit. Anyone else interested?

Thanks

That's where I first learned to dive about 20+ years ago
(72 tank, Mae west and double hose reg).

When they flooded the valley they burned or moved all the buildings, but there are still RR tracks, foundations, chimneys etc standing. during my few dives they also had an algae bloom that made the water green with 1' vis.

Funny you brought it up, my brother just bought a ski boat last year, he keeps it on lake Wallenpaupack. He and I had discussed diving off of it this summer. We were going to hit a local dive shop to see if there are any interesting underwater sites mapped. The lake is huge 6,000 acres and 52 miles of shoreline. We absolutely will dive from the boat this summer, but it's small and built for speed not diving. After we (my bro and I) try it first, and if it looks like more than two can dive off the boat (without scratching the gel coat) and if there is something interesting to see then I will post it for Wreck Valley divers.

No one else diving Lake Wallempaupack????

It seems like a cool place to get wet, literally!

I have a tent, and soon to be a small camper (for diving)....let's get some details so we can plan an outing.

Find me a mud puddle deep enough and I'm liable to jump in! I wanna dive!!!!!!

ps. I'll be back up overhead Dutch tomorrow so I may be able to get some more pictures of it's status.

I'm up for a Lake Wallempaupack trip.
More dive sites = more gooder!

DawgPaddle:
Sean326 - I meant to ask... are you bringing "gettin' wet gear" with you to Canana?

No... When you fly my son and I up, to have it make economic sense it would have to be a 1 day round trip for me, no time to dive.

DawgPaddle:
No one else diving Lake Wallempaupack????
It seems like a cool place to get wet, literally!
I have a tent, and soon to be a small camper (for diving)....let's get some details so we can plan an outing.

Dawg Paddle... never mind the tent and camper we have a good size house near the lake (25 min.) at a place called Buck Hill it has two guest rooms good enough for 3 divers or 4 if their real friendly
(one of the guest rooms just has a single queen size bed)

I'd be happy to host a some Wreck Valley divers up there.
But as I said above, the last time I dove Lake Wallenpaupack especially with the algea (the algea was probably a fluke and not a regular occurance) there just wasn't much to see. But if we research it there might be a good dive site or two on the lake.

We need to have a dumpload of zebra mussells thrown in up there. Last year at Dutch these lil fella's (I think it was zebra mussels) were cleaning house like a Bulldog on a hotdog farm and the vis at times was most excellent.

Thanks much! We'll definitely get together during one of our upcoming Dutch dives and discuss options. But it sounds like it'll be a blast!

Lk Hopatcong in nj is a great place to dive.
alot of artifacts and history on this lake.
not to much in the way of shore diving you really need a boat.
but we have rented a poontoon boat here on the lake and go out for the day split 5 or 6 ways it is a cheap day of diving and we allways come home with a bag full of artifacts.
would like to join up with the wreck valley crew here and it would be great if we could get a few trips together?
ralph at the marina down from my house has 10 or so poontoon boats ready to rent so any amount of people would be fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom