Lake Waco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I may have a week long trip to Waco, TX. I was wondering if I can dive in Lake Waco, if it's good for diving, is there walk up shore diving, etc.

Is there a good website with information?

Some time ago OldSchool said:

I live about 25 minutes from Stillhhouse and have dived there a couple of dozen times in the past two years, mostly night dives from the marina. ... I've dived in a lot worse (Lake Belton, Lake Waco).

If you enjoy diving in the Passaic River, you might enjoy Lake Waco. Lake Waco has rather poor vis, the kind where you may need to touch your mask in order to see your hand.

If you don't mind traveling a bit further, Lake Whitney to the North may have some diving. I have not tried it. An hour to the south is Stillhouse Hollow Lake which has a scuba area and vis that can run up to 20+ feet. Not a heck of a lot to see but better than dry skin. 2+ hours to the south is the diving "meca" of Lake Travis that may be worth a try.

I've never been to Lake Waco but if you're close by ~ and ~ somebody says you can dive there then why not do it ? I like the idea Peppermint said about a night dive .
' Might as well make it dark topside too if you are going low vis.

As for Lake Travis being the diving " Meca" :shakehead:

That's the middle east children's alliance. I believe you were thinking Mecca

Sorry awap... your a swell guy, but either way that was a Poor choice of words.

I'll forgive you this one time though. After all. it's the Christian thing to do even for Crazy Sinners such as I :)

Some time ago OldSchool said:

I live about 25 minutes from Stillhhouse and have dived there a couple of dozen times in the past two years, mostly night dives from the marina. ... I've dived in a lot worse (Lake Belton, Lake Waco).

:rofl3: :rofl3: I love it! ! ! Fantastic! :rofl3: :rofl3:

I have dived Stillhouse. I recommend it. It's not for the faint of heart. Visibility is not 30 ft or anything. Visibility is just ok. I have seen it in the range of 3 ft to 10 ft. I hear that it has been better. OK. Fair enough. I like Stillhouse. It ain't bad. Based on the above comment, I am not sure I would dive lake Waco.

Whitney ain't so bad either. I have seen pretty crappy visibility at Whitney; but then again, what lake in Texas hasn't suffered from really bad visibility at one time or another?

Wow, I've been quoted!! Thanks PeppermintPaddi! Hands down, Lake Waco is without a doubt the worst place I have dived ever. If viz could be less than zero, it was. The bottom (at least where I was) was muck. I mean the kind of muck you could spread like peanut butter. Definitely a dive that once you surface, you wonder if you should just burn your wetsuit and buy a new one. Stillhouse viz varies by the day. I made a dive there Wednesday afternoon. Viz was maybe 5 ft. It does have an underwater park with a couple of decent size boats, platforms, motorcycles, and respectable aquatic life. I'd definitely make the hour or so drive to Stillhouse and forget Lake Waco.

I have never asked local diver about Lake Waco and didnt get the same opinion as OldSchool provided. It seems to me the only folks that dive it are the public safety divers and they only do if they have to. I do like Stillhouse, but I have been in a while.

Willie

Back
Top Bottom