Lake Travis Scuba July 25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, we are still interested, we are diving Inks Lake over Labor Day weekend. We will be there anyway, we are thinking about the diving. Keep us posted on the conditions!

Rhonda

I hope it gets better before you get there. We did go out, but aborted for safety as it was near impossible to determine anything about where you were. Lake Buchanan was only slightly better, and may have improved with depth, but we ran short on time and left early and without using scuba - freedove Buchanan only.

I posted the following on the Dive Condition Reports forum - enjoy.

Friday - July 3, 2009 ; 3:00 pm
Inks Lake - Devils Water Hole area
______

Dove area around Devils Water Hole at Inks Lake State Park. Visibility was approximately only about one foot (or less), down to a depth of 21' and never improved. There are a few large overhangs and it was so murky, dark and green that the dive was aborted quickly. Very silty bottom - don't disturb it or you won't see anything, as if it really mattered...

Left Inks and went to the area of the LCRA office and Public beach along SH 29, just west of the Inks Lake bridge and Llano/Burnet County line. This area is where there used to be public access to the dam of Lake Buchanan. We only freedove here - vis was only approximately 2-2.5', and only on the bottom between 10-15' deep. Found a fishing rod/reel.

Also, we were checked out by the rent-a-cop armed security guard. Apparently, they do not want any divers close to the dam, and that we would not have been allowed to use scuba gear near the dam.

I just sent in my reservation for that afternoon. I really shouldn't due to I will be taking a trip to Ga. the following weekend. But, Oh well...you gotta do what you gotta do.
I'm looking forward to the dive.

Cool! We'll see you there!

Rhonda

I have a friend who has some afternoon conflicts who is going to go with me, but wont dive. I'll be on the morning boat if anyone wants to join me :)

I hope it gets better before you get there. We did go out, but aborted for safety as it was near impossible to determine anything about where you were. Lake Buchanan was only slightly better, and may have improved with depth, but we ran short on time and left early and without using scuba - freedove Buchanan only.

I posted the following on the Dive Condition Reports forum - enjoy.

Friday - July 3, 2009 ; 3:00 pm
Inks Lake - Devils Water Hole area
______

Dove area around Devils Water Hole at Inks Lake State Park. Visibility was approximately only about one foot (or less), down to a depth of 21' and never improved. There are a few large overhangs and it was so murky, dark and green that the dive was aborted quickly. Very silty bottom - don't disturb it or you won't see anything, as if it really mattered...

Well, Devils water hole was where we were headed, so I guess it looks like we won't have to worry about dragging the scuba gear down with us!

Thanks for the report!

Rhonda

Well, I did it again. I scheduled something before I looked at the date.
I will have to reschedule due to it being my sons birthday. Actually his birthday is the 22nd but he took off work on the 25th. I totally forgot about it.
I wil check my dates better for the next time and I will reschedule as soon as I can.

ftwdiver14, sorry you can't make it! Thanks to some arm twisting from Kory, I guess I'll be bringing some brownies. Looking forward to the boat dives, it's been a long time, and I'm hoping low lake level, means great vis, (at least 6 feet anyway) and lots of fish!!

Rhonda

oooh!! I hope we run into you crossing from morning to afternoon. I want to try these brownies. Their reputation proceeds them!! :wink:

Hey all,

Never been there but I've been getting reports that the lake is really low this year. Does anyone have any info on water levels? What they would normally be compared to now? Just wondering...we are also in a drought here on Maui. Thank you!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom