Lake Travis report 9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How far down can you go and still see sunlight from the surface? Is it like pitch black after a certain foot mark?

atlas750:
I was at windy point. The private side. Vis was about 25' at least to the end of my light beam. Much better than at 30'. There were abandoned guide lines tangled in some of the trees. So you need to be careful! I did not see any fish deeper than about 80'.

It sounds like the Windex layer has settled to the bottom. It should be very clear on down. Those (abandoned guide lines tangled in some of the trees) that you mentioned are actually fishing line with a heavy deposit of silt on them. Pretty cool to look at.

Thanks for the heads up on the vis
Dave

Ps. did you start cave training?

Teknadv3x:
Man bummer on the HID.
What make and model and what do you think happened?
It going to be up and running for the Florida Trip?

Dave

was a 2.9 ah Powersonic SLA. It had well over 100 dives on it so maybe it was time to die...already have replacement batts, so good to go.

ianr33:
There is some ambient light at 80 feet. By 100 feet it is black

we had marginal ambient light levels as deep as 110' two weeks ago while on the gold line...you'll need to shield your light to notice it tho.

cyklon_300:
we had marginal ambient light levels as deep as 110' two weeks ago while on the gold line...you'll need to shield your light to notice it tho.

The gold line?

Has anyone hit the far left wall off Windy Point Private recently- since we are talking about this?

I usually scooter out over the public and drop into the channel. About 100-120ft there is a nice wall- chain, tank hanging. I need to get some deep, quiet time in.

Thanks, Andrew

cyklon_300:
127' / 62F

Vis ~25' (until the HID battery bit it)...observed a number of dead fish (20+) there, both at the surface and on the bottom.

Someone should tow the derelict sailboat away from the dam face so we can dive it deeper....

Man, sorry to hear about the HID, I had to replace a bulb last year in one of mine- cough, cough.

Has anyone considered lifting some "stuff" from the old dive park and shifting it to a deep section of Windy Point Private- perhaps over by the right side of the park near the deeper channel? Perhaps something to do as a group project?

Mansfield Damn-
I am not too familiar with the deeper depths actually "off the damn" (more into the cove) is there any nice shelves that we could move "something" to? I know the boats are on the left side in the cove and that has a nice curve but everything after 100ft seems pretty steep. Any thoughts?

Crazyduck:
Has anyone hit the far left wall off Windy Point Private recently- since we are talking about this?

I usually scooter out over the public and drop into the channel. About 100-120ft there is a nice wall- chain, tank hanging. I need to get some deep, quiet time in.

Thanks, Andrew

How far is it from the private side? Where is the "old Park"? "chain-tank hanging"? what do you mean?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom