Lake Ray Roberts Scuba Death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello.
I read your post the other day. You had some questions regarding the diver that drowned. He was my brother-in-law, my husbands twin brother.

The media reported that he ran out of air. That is not true. Please bear with me as I am not a diver, however the line that fills the BC ruptured. From all the investigations, he paniced and dropped his regulator. He was unnable to get out of his vest and weights in enough time. My husband spent what felt like hours searching for him and he was found by sonar. He still had 1200lbs of air, but over 60lbs of weight.

This is a very difficult time for our family, however I wanted to set some of the record straight. Every paper, news report, ect all said he ran out of air.

Also I am trying to find out more about SCUBAPRO as that is the manufacturer of the line that broke.

Thank you for sharing this information in what must be a very difficult time for you. My prayers go out for those affected by this tragedy.

As for Scubapro, I have been diving a set of Scubapro regulators since 1977 with no issues, and they are a well respected brand but any equipment is subject to failure, and the chances for failure can be affected greatly by maintenance( or lack there of).

60 lbs of weight seems vastly overweighted, did you mean added weight or total rig weight? As someone posted earlier, a burst lp inflater supply hose would drain the tank empty, might you mean the actual corrugated hose that fills/deflates the bc(that the lp hose connects to)?

Thanks again for the information, sounds like equipment failure of some sort compounded by panic and buddy separation(which can be hard to avoid sometimes in the Texas muck). Hopefully this will serve to remind the rest of us of the dangers of panic and the need for proper gear pm's as well as of the importance of a nearby buddy.

Ashley,

Please accept the most sincere condolances on the loss of your brother-in-law. Divers tend to be a fairly close knit group and we all want to understand how and why when someone dies as it affects all of us. I didn't know your brother-in-law.

Hoses wear out. They need to be replaced periodically. It isn't scubapro's fault the hose broke. It just happens. I'm not trying to be harsh, but I am a realist. There is no reason why your brother-in-law should have died, but you said it yourself. He paniced. He still had air, he still had a regulator that worked, he still had a means to getting to the surface calmly and safely. He made a bad decision and it cost him. I say this will respect and sincerity, I'm sorry it happened to him.

He made a bad decision.

Parts of your story don't make sense. If a hose broke, that follows what the media reports I saw stated. He was found with an empty cylinder. Not 1200psi, not 150psi. But more importantly, we understand why it was empty.

Prayers for your and your family.

Tom

The media reported that he ran out of air. That is not true. Please bear with me as I am not a diver, however the line that fills the BC ruptured. From all the investigations, he paniced and dropped his regulator. He was unnable to get out of his vest and weights in enough time. My husband spent what felt like hours searching for him and he was found by sonar. He still had 1200lbs of air, but over 60lbs of weight.

It must have been the corrugate tube that was ruptured or torn loose, causing a loss of buoyancy lift. As noted before, a blown hose would have emptied the tank completely. 60 pounds is a lot of weight, even if diving a dry suit. Way too much to swim up.

So far the problem was a ruptured line that inflates/deflates the BC. My husband and his brother were very responsible about having the equipment regularly inspected not only at the dive shop, but also tested and inspected it completely before any dive. The he did have a lot of weight on him when they found him, but again I am not a diver and do not know all the specifics. What I do know is the line ripped almost completely in half and has NO signs of dryrot, or any type of tear. After reading everyones threads on this site and scuba toys, as well as all the incorrect news reports, I felt that I should atleast try to give some of the facts to people.
Yes, he was an excellent swimmer, but as I'm sure anyone can agree with me that in times of stress and panic, we tend to forget all the skills we have learned and in my brother-in-laws case was a fight or flight situation which resulted in his death.
Thanks you to all well wishers.
By the way, although I did say that I am not a diver, I am however a divers wife and it is an extreme sport, but certaintly not one that in a million years would I have ever imagined such a tragidy for our family.
And...for the person diving with SCUBAPRO gear, there are at least 4 recalls I just found out about and even though the equipment gets serviced and inspected by the dive shop, we still didn't know about the recalls.

It was an accident. He was an excellent swimmer and was certified in SCUBA diving. He was also smart while diving. What people dont realize is that the media doesn't always report correct information or all of the information. His tubing exploded and he drowned. It was a freak accident. I hope that people who read this and other SCUBA forums learn that he was a person and he has family and everything you read from the media is not correct. The media did report that he had 150 lbs of air still in his tank. It would have been more respectful if people inquired about his family and how they are coping with this news, rather than speculate that he was not a good swimmer and shouldn't have been diving. Maybe I'm being harsh, and I apologize for that. I'm just still trying to heal from all of this.

I wonder if this was an inflator hose failure, as has already been mentioned. Certainly not a lp hose failure.

I further wonder if it might be related to the pull dump feature of the inflator. I've seen inflator hoses depart the bladder connection when the internal wire connecting the inflator head to the dump breaks.

60 lbs of lead is about 25lbs more than I've ever seen on a diver. That's one helluva lot of ballast.

Actually, yes that was a lot of weight. Apparently the last time they attemped 40ft, they had issues with not enough weight, however the 60 lbs was the full tank, the vest weight and then he added 18 lbs of weight to himself. The norm was about 8-10 lbs which was in the weight belt, but he had extra weight in his pockets.

Sorry for your loss, and thanks for advising the Board here as to the facts.

Hello Ash...Eilrash.....is Sharlie. I was upset at some of the original posts that are no longer posted. They seemd harsh and I wanted to defend our family, most importantly Ken. Hopefully what you have posted, with more detail, will help anyone who has the same or similar situation as Ken so they can have a different outcome. Luv ya girl..

Ashley and Sharlie,

Our deepest condolences on the loss of your loved one. Words alone can never soothe the pain or fill the emptiness of the space Ken held in your hearts and the hearts of your family.

Thank you both for courageously posting in this thread. Please forgive those who sought only answers. Your presence is a reminder that the pursuit of answers must always be tempered with respect for the loved one now gone.

As a community of scuba divers spanning a wide range of underwater experience, we share a common interest and attachment to accidents. Our adventures have their risks, but we do all we can to avoid repeating someone else's misfortune.

The transportation industry has the NTSB whenever there is an accident. Whether related to aircraft, trucking, trains, etc, those involved in specific industries get a detailed explanation of the causes of an accident. They take those lessons and adapt their methods to avoid a similar problem.

Recreational scuba diving has no such organization like the NTSB, nor do we want one. We have our certifying agencies and the Diver's Alert Network, but we have to depend upon the media and non-scuba knowledgable investigative police forces to provide us with the details. The NTSB investigates to the most minute detail. We attempt to do the same here at ScubaBoard, sometimes unfortunately without much tact. Please forgive.

Thank you both for helping us get a little clearer picture of Ken's attention to detail. His swimming abilities and care for his gear is now as clear as it needs to be. We understand the weighting issue. Our only real question is whether the problem was with the 400 PSI hose that attaches from the 1st stage to the inflator mechanism on his BC (buoyancy compensator), was the problem in the inflator mechanism itself, or was it in the inflator hose from the mechanism that attaches to the BC? Knowing that answer and what exactly happened will send many of us to our closests to check our own gear for something similar.

Yes, it appears it was a freak accident. Knowing it can happen to any one of us is why we ask with such passion and interest.

All my blessings to you both and your families. May the memory of Ken's smile warm you all, especially his brother who is grieving a loss those of us without a twin will never know.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom