Lake Ray Roberts Scuba Death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw the same news article noboundaries cited. Has anyone here ever dived Lake Ray Roberts?

I saw the same news article noboundaries cited. Has anyone here ever dived Lake Ray Roberts?

I haven't -- and judging by the stories I've heard from people that have just boated there, I have no desire whatsoever to take the plunge in that mess. :shakehead:

Depending on where they were there are a considerable number of trees underwater. My first inclination was that he got trapped in mono or a trotline and couldn't surface. My next guess is that the vis was so bad, he couldn't see his guages and just ran out of air. Still not sure why he couldn't get to the surface from 30 feet with an empty tank.

Probably never know.

Prayers for the friends and family.

TwoBit

It was an accident. He was an excellent swimmer and was certified in SCUBA diving. He was also smart while diving. What people dont realize is that the media doesn't always report correct information or all of the information. His tubing exploded and he drowned. It was a freak accident. I hope that people who read this and other SCUBA forums learn that he was a person and he has family and everything you read from the media is not correct. The media did report that he had 150 lbs of air still in his tank. It would have been more respectful if people inquired about his family and how they are coping with this news, rather than speculate that he was not a good swimmer and shouldn't have been diving. Maybe I'm being harsh, and I apologize for that. I'm just still trying to heal from all of this.

We all know the media often (usually) gets the facts wrong. It's usually all we have to go on though. Speculation is what you get in the absence of good information.

Blown hoses or any other equipment failure should not result in drowning. Scuba teaches the diver many skills and techniques for dealing with sudden loss of air supply. Now if you mean the tank itself exploded...

It was an accident. He was an excellent swimmer and was certified in SCUBA diving. He was also smart while diving. What people dont realize is that the media doesn't always report correct information or all of the information. His tubing exploded and he drowned. It was a freak accident. I hope that people who read this and other SCUBA forums learn that he was a person and he has family and everything you read from the media is not correct. The media did report that he had 150 lbs of air still in his tank. It would have been more respectful if people inquired about his family and how they are coping with this news, rather than speculate that he was not a good swimmer and shouldn't have been diving. Maybe I'm being harsh, and I apologize for that. I'm just still trying to heal from all of this.

Thank you for coming on here and posting. Many SB members realize the media does not always get things correct, so we post here to see if any other divers may have more/better information on what actually happened. There is a tendancy to speculate a bit in an attempt to understand what might have happened and hopefully avoid it ourselves. We try to be respectful of the diver and his family, but sometimes the speculation may seem judgmental to grieving family and friends. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you for providing some additional information, any other info you would care to share would be appreciated.

If his tubing exploded (hose?) no matter which one the tank would empty. No 2nd stage or LPI to stop air flow. So i doubt he had 150 psi left in the tank.

OK, now lets take a look at this link.

Scuba Diving Videos Cutting a Divers Hose Scuba Videos

Hello.
I read your post the other day. You had some questions regarding the diver that drowned. He was my brother-in-law, my husbands twin brother.

The media reported that he ran out of air. That is not true. Please bear with me as I am not a diver, however the line that fills the BC ruptured. From all the investigations, he paniced and dropped his regulator. He was unnable to get out of his vest and weights in enough time. My husband spent what felt like hours searching for him and he was found by sonar. He still had 1200lbs of air, but over 60lbs of weight.

This is a very difficult time for our family, however I wanted to set some of the record straight. Every paper, news report, ect all said he ran out of air.

Also I am trying to find out more about SCUBAPRO as that is the manufacturer of the line that broke.

Back
Top Bottom